1.1.4, SDK, Microtransactions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bnizzy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. bnizzy macrumors member

Many business models are shifting to microtransactions... which i'm sure apple wants to tap into.

(Microtransactions are where they release an app, for instance a MMO video game for free and then charge incremental small fees for little things like custom avatars, wallpapers, etc.)

you KNOW once the SDK hits, and apple starts selling apps and whatevers thru iTunes, it will be for $$$$$$$. Maybe a free platform to launch themes such as summerboard, but i BET the themes will cost $0.50 or some crap like that - just enough to make you not care.

i;ve heard that apple even put some of the hackers that developed jailbreaking on their payroll recently... any confirmation??? i've heard that apple has put them on their payroll to be contracted developers for the apps to be sold on iTunes - developer makes more $ than all the donations they would have gotten for jailbroken systems, and iTunes gets more $$$$ period. It makes sense... but does anyone know if this has happened???

my question is...
    for all those who have a JB iTouches, what should we do in prep of 1.1.4 update?

i've seeen some ppl say they will go back to vanilla jan update on the 25th before the release of 1.1.4... why? they can;t brick iTouches, can they? i thought all we have to do is system restore and its all good.

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Be patient. I have all I need in jb 1.1.3 right now. Internet, games, notes, todo list, mail, calendar reminders. It will take something fantastic for me to jump to 1.1.4 right away.

My springboard and icons also look the way I Think they should look. I love this device. I use it every day. If the iPhone wasn't so expensive (think monthly fee) I'd pop for one of those.

All I have in this Touch is its original cost, a tuffshield and an Otterbox case and armband(for the gym). So, I got about $470 in it so far since last October. I'm happy for now. I will wait and see. Apple is not going to nickel and dime me. YMMV

3. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I will do this so I can safely update to the new system software as soon as it's available.

I thnik there has been cases where iPod Touches have become bricked and a restore has beeen unavailable.

EDIT: 600th post!

4. frikkyco macrumors member

Whatever they charge, I hope they allow for some customizing. I made a theme with icons from many different places that I liked and they worked with the apps I have, not what someone else has or thinks is cool. I sure hope they let me put my theme on instead of buying a half-ass one that doesn't quite work with what I have.

5. bnizzy thread starter macrumors member

i googled otterbox cases, and man... those are some diesel cases.

which armband do u use? any suggestions?

6. dagored macrumors 65816

Here is the link: http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ipod-armbands/

Here is a pict:
    [​IMG]

I want to point out, this case is not for everyone. If you are looking for sleek and slim. This is not for you. If you are looking for industrial strength, you found it.