1&1 Domain Registrar with different webhost

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by milzay, May 22, 2009.

1. milzay macrumors member

Hi all,

A few q's here, that might not make too much sense as my head's hurt from thinking, which is very rare for me. I have purchased a few web domain names from 1&1 and am interested in linking this URL with a webhost, possibly atspace as it's free and no banner or ads. The easy way of doing this is just to use URL forwarding so when they go to www.mydomain.com, it redirects them to mydomain.atspace.com. This is fine, although the URL will always just show www.mydomain.com, and the page title will always be the initial setting I set (eg. MyDomain).
    However, I might be being a bit picky here, I would like to actually have different page urls, About Us page, would actually go to www.mydomain.com/about.html. Is there any way of doing this without signing up to a web hosting package with 1&1 (the domain registrar).
    Moving on, what DNS settings should I change (name server, A-Record, MX-Records [I believe tehse are just for email]... or maybe CNAME) to get the site to point to another webhost, and be able to preserve correct URL names as described above (About Us page will change URL to www.mydomain.com/about.html).

In terms of e-mail, I have been able to get this to work with google apps which is pretty great.

Hope that makes sense, Many Thanks.

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I do exactly the same thing. I get my domains at 1&1 and use Hostgator as a hosting provider. Just go to 1&1, edit the DNS of your domain to the primary and secondary DNS of your web host. If you can't find those, a redirect is the next best thing you could do, but I don't think that's what you want. A free host might not have that service.

At 1&1, you click on the domain -> DNS -> Edit DNS.

Then, you choose : Use my own nameservers and that's where you enter the 2 DNS enties.

3. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

The web hosting company I work for, we tell our users to point their domain name (A-record) to their assigned IP address, and we add that to their VirtualHost file. But I'm not sure how other companies do it.

4. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Oh righty, for some reason it worked when I changed the name servers for the .com domain, and not .co.uk as I had earlier. However, this now leaves me another headache, with 1and1 when you change the name servers you can not change the MX servers, this means I lose my e-mail settings when the webhosting works. Any ideas? Or am I feck*d?