1,1 Mac Pro + Belkin Bluetooth + Magic Trackpad = Problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nightfly13, Aug 7, 2010.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I've had minor issues with the (self-installed) internal BT in my original Mac Pro before, with occasional glitches and recently, drops with my Magic Mouse. So last time I went to the US I bought a tiny Belkin BT adapter, hoping to address that. While there the Magic Touchpad came out and I'd had my eye on this for months (and dreamed about it for longer) so I'm quite perplexed that it hardly works.

I'm not totally sure how to tell the Mac Pro to use the USB BT adapter instead of the standard internal one (with very poor connectivity) but I'm assuming it is working correctly in the front USB slot because it blinks slowly when not in use and blinks more quickly when I jiggle my Magic Mouse, like there's BT activity. Also, as soon as I yank the USB adapter the mouse goes dead, so I'm pretty sure it's using the new adapter, which isn't encased in a sound-insulated metal coffin. Yet my Magic Touchpad has worked very spottily, basically the cursor doesn't move except in occasional leaps and clicks work only some of the time. It's sitting on my desk less than 24" from the outer BT adapter. Curiously, the Magic Touchpad worked about the same way when I got it paired with my internal BT, super badly, and I assumed the Belkin would fix this, but it hasn't.

I got a message that my wired numeric-keypad-having Apple aluminum keyboard USB ports didn't have enough power for the BT adapter (wanted it actually on my desktop) so that's why it's in the front.

I don't suppose it's possible that the mouse is 'talking' to the Belkin BT adapter and the Magic Trackpad is still 'paired' with the internal? That's kind of how it's behaving, although that's totally bizare. Even stranger, the Bluetooth preference pane shows the trackpad as paired and connected, but the trackpad preference pane says no trackpad found, although it had just told me the battery level is 100%.

Now I just popped the batteries in and out and it 'found' and 'connected' to the trackpad but nothing works except occasional clicking.

Help appreciated!!

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Have you checked that your bluetooth and wifi antennae are connected correctly?

A lot of Mac Pros were set up wrongly and there's wrong info out there for the home installer too. Check it out here.

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Yeah I've looked into the BT connection. I don't have wifi, and I installed the BT myself, but that's really not an issue since I'm trying to avoid using the internal BT all together in favor of the Belkin adapter (front external USB).

Thanks for the input, though, I hope I get this sorted out. Doesn't make any sense that the Magic Trackpad would have an inferior BT radio/receiver than the Magic Mouse, I'd guess they use the same part, actually... might have read that in a tear-down but don't quote me.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Is there a particular reason why you want to use the external?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1, with Bluetooth built in, I used to have a lot of problems with range and connection issues. However after swapping the aerial leads around it was resolved and works fine over quite a distance (couple of rooms away). The aerials are behind the plastic bottom panel btw (well not the one labelled BT), not that this is a great situation.

If it's one of the micro BT adapters then the range may be worse than the built in ones. Though I think I've seen someone else complaining about compatibility problems with the Magic Trackpad and Belkin Bluetooth adapters.

I would try swapping the internal aerial leads around, then try again with the built in Bluetooth. Either that or you might need to remove the internal Bluetooth module, if you must use the Belkin one.

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Looking over that BT guide I realize that I've been in there addressing that problem. To be totally honest I don't remember how it resolved entirely, but I think I changed it around and felt I had the same performance after the fact. I also remember it being extremely challenging to get the BT wire to 'snap' on the tiny connector on the chip.

I found out about the belkin external adapter here, and I thought that was a common alternative to the poorly designed 1,1 internal module, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'd love to not have a blue flashing light on the front, (that doesn't work great anyway) and I guess it's worth it to open the case back up and check the guide once again that I have the correct lead connected. Strong internal BT from 2 rooms away is a dream come true, seems too good to be true but I'll give it a go.

Thanks again, for the input gentlemen.

6. Rad macrumors regular

Zoom Blutooth

I have been using a Zoom bluetooth USB micro-dongle on my Mac Pro 1,1. No problems for about 6 months using it primarily for a Logitech Denovo Edge bluetooth keyboard, without any issues. Since I added the magic trackpad and the required software update, nothing buy problems. I usually turn my machine off at night - and it will not reconnect the next bootup without reinstalling the keyboard. The trackpad is hit or miss. I have had multiple screen freezes, where the mouse cursor moves but no objects react to it when clicked. Never had these problems before.

7. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Hey nightfly13,

I've just had a look inside my Mac Pro and I definitely have the #1 antenna wire connected to my bluetooth module.

Here is an old thread regarding this issue.

I seem to remember that the #1 lead was tucked into the loom somewhere and had to be unravelled and that those little connectors are very fiddly to disconnect and reconnect. It is worth persisting, though. I used to have a Sony Ericsson that sync'd via bluetooth. I used to have to place it on top of the computer to pair it up. After disconnecting the "BT" lead and connecting the #1, it paired from anywhere in my flat.

If you still can't get it to work, you may be better off removing the internal board entirely and only connecting the USB one so that you don't have 2 bluetooth modules "fighting" for the same resources. Just a thought...

8. henryseiden macrumors member

henryseiden

Don't know who needs more help, you or me. I have a Mac Pro (1,1) that never had a internal BT (just never saw the need when I bought). Now there is a need. I got a Magic Trackpad and am having trouble with two BT external USB units I tried- IOGear GBU-421, DLink DBT-120.

The problem I'm having is that the BT dongle never finds the Magic Trackpad (or anything else for that matter, neither my Mini or my iPhone). I will try it again with th trick some here suggested- removing the batteries. I suspect it won't make a difference, though.

Like to hear more comments about the issues, because the other alternative is a BT module internal and you seem to have problems with that. I spoke with an Apple tech about an internal and while they don't support the external dongles, they keep saying that the internal will work and in fact on my laptop the Magic Trackpad does in fact work great on the Mini.

The MacPro has had issues with wrong antennas being hooked up from factory, but that's another issue.

Let me know.

Henry