1,1 Power Supply and Graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Borman, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Borman macrumors member

Hiya everyone,
    What Im wondering is this : What graphics card could I use only for Windows that would be supported by my Mac Pro 2006 version, where I can also continue to use my 8800GT for standard OSX usage? My biggest concern being power consumption and getting the power to the card, as I would rather not use a separate power supply. And while the card will not work in OSX, I'd like to be sure the card won't overheat so fan use would still be nice hah.

Im looking to do this to squeak another year or two out of my Mac Pro. I realize that I would likely have to buy a switch or manually swap the DVI cables, along with missing the EFI grey screen, which really wouldn't be missed.

Thanks everyone!

2. OptimusP83 macrumors newbie

I've got a flashed 4870 in my 1,1 Macpro dual 2.6ghz. I've measured my power draw as almost 400watts from the wall while running a handbrake encode and gaming in the background (HL2 under OS X). I've read somewhere that the PSU is a 1kW unit though. I think more of the issue would be getting enough power to the card, since with your 8800gt there would only be one 6-pin PCI-e plug left. Of course you could always get a 4-6pin converter.

As far as the card: If the card is ONLY for Windows use, you can use pretty much whatever you want. If you want to use it for a second or 3rd monitor in OSX though that wont work regardless of the brand (I think. There may be a way to make it work with cards of the same model). Since you already have an 8800, I would stick with an nvidia for the windows side, mainly just to alleviate potential driver issues. Windows 7 apparently allows GPUs from different manufacturers installed and operable at the same time, but honestly I wouldn't want to think about all the driver conflicts.

You could also just use the second input on your monitor, assuming there is one, and leave both cards connected at all times.

3. Borman thread starter macrumors member

Ive got no problem rigging some power from the optical area if necessary. And yep, its only for Windows. Just trying to make sure if I stick, say, a 470 or 480 in there that it'll still work as it should. I planned on going with nvidia.

And this monitor sadly only has one DVI port, though if I can save some money by buying a graphics card rather than a new PC, Ill be grabbing another monitor at the same time heh.

4. OptimusP83 macrumors newbie

Yea It should work. Of course I've never tried it, so don't default on your mortgage or something buying a 460/80 and blame me for it when it doesn't work! :)

5. Borman thread starter macrumors member

6. globalproperty macrumors newbie

You should keep upgrading to keep mac windows.