Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themiracle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Photo Comparison of two iPod touches with different firmwares:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14321902@N05/sets/72157602213284398/

The pictures aren't awesome, but the comparison was what was important. There has definitely a very slight difference in contrast after the upgrade that I didn't notice beforehand. I'd say the most telling is the Jay-Z album cover, where the new firmware appears to have made it harder to make the image negative overall, though I forgot to test this beforehand. The album cover also looked nearly identical until I tilted the screen slightly. The new firmware definitely appears to give a broader viewing angle overall, but at what cost?

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Thanks for your pictures and effort on behalf of the 130 other viewers.

However, how would you know that the screens were both the same before the update. The new update seems to work differently for different people's ipods. You should take a before and after comparison shot with the older (1.1) version ipod. Then it would give a better idea of the difference.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

However, how would you know that the screens were both the same before the update.

I noticed a difference in the screen even in the first picture, and it seems to me that in that picture, neither device was updated yet ("the one on the right will be updated").

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Photo Comparison of two iPod touches with different firmwares:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14321902@N05/sets/72157602213284398/

The pictures aren't awesome, but the comparison was what was important. There has definitely a very slight difference in contrast after the upgrade that I didn't notice beforehand. I'd say the most telling is the Jay-Z album cover, where the new firmware appears to have made it harder to make the image negative overall, though I forgot to test this beforehand. The album cover also looked nearly identical until I tilted the screen slightly. The new firmware definitely appears to give a broader viewing angle overall, but at what cost?

WHAT COST???!!

The update cost nothing and made your screen look great. WTF? I just can't believe the extent people are going to in order to try and make this a bigger deal than it is. This is a little tiny portable media player for cripe sakes. Out of the box, even with the dark screen it was MUCH better than anything out there. WHAT COST???!!! Are you affraid that one day you'll not be able to see a black that is blacker than 100 percent black?

Geez!
:rolleyes:

adauge

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
WHAT COST???!!

The update cost nothing and made your screen look great. WTF? I just can't believe the extent people are going to in order to try and make this a bigger deal than it is. This is a little tiny portable media player for cripe sakes. Out of the box, even with the dark screen it was MUCH better than anything out there. WHAT COST???!!! Are you affraid that one day you'll not be able to see a black that is blacker than 100 percent black?

Geez!
It doesn't make the screen look great, it ups the contrast and makes the screen look grainy. When I spend $400 on a "little tiny portable media player" I expect it to work how it is intended, and I do not appreciate a company trying to cover up a flaw.

I'll never understand why people stick up for big companies. You have to get off of Jobs' d***.

BTW, it's arguable that it is much better than anything out there.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Out of the box, even with the dark screen it was MUCH better than anything out there. WHAT COST???!!! Are you affraid that one day you'll not be able to see a black that is blacker than 100 percent black?

Geez!

Are you saying it's MUCH better than the iPhone screen?

One day I'd like to be able to see black that is blacker than 60-70% black.

themiracle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007

However, how would you know that the screens were both the same before the update. The new update seems to work differently for different people's ipods. You should take a before and after comparison shot with the older (1.1) version ipod. Then it would give a better idea of the difference.

When I compared them in person before the update, the screens looked extremely similar. I spent a lot of time playing with them before and after the update, so I had a pretty good feel for the displays. The problem with updating an iPod and trying to compare before and after is that there is a lot of subjectivity involved and cameras tend to have trouble capturing the screens, so the comparison would be hard to make. I think the way that I did it was a superior method, though the pictures aren't perfect in any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.