1.1 vs 1.3 is killing me

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GrantMeThePower, Apr 28, 2015.

  1. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2011
    #1
    I'm crazy. I'll get that out of the way first.

    I preordered a 1.3 space gray rMB. But the more I read, the more it seems like there isn't really much of a difference between the 1.1 and the 1.3. Honestly, it will be my third computer. My main is a Mac Mini with Thunderbolt Display, secondary is 21.5 iMac. I've never owned a laptop. I have been using an iPad with a keyboard for work and just am realizing that a laptop would be much more efficient and effective. It is worth it for me to spend the money.

    That being said, the things I'll be doing on it are not intensive.

    I do photography, but I'm not going to do it on my rMB. it will be on the desktops.

    The majority of the work will be in meetings and on the road-MS OneNote, Mail, Pages, Numbers, Safari, Messages, Any.Do, iDraw, etc. For travel I'll watch movies and the usual.

    The reason I keep thinking, though, that I should KEEP the 1.3 I preordered is "future proof" (i know there is no such thing, but more like "future better"). OS X updates and the like. Keeping up with new code for Safari. Etc etc etc.

    The money isn't an "absolute" issue, but it is a relative one. I am more than happy to pay for what is good, but I hate overpaying unnecessarily.

    I would love for your guys' opinion.

    Thank you
     
  2. junkw macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    #2
    don't keep it, the 1.1 is enough for your usage
     
  3. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2013
  4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #4
    Don't let it kill you. It'll be a bit faster at processing. About 18% or so. No other difference. Pay for it if you like, or don't bother.
     
  5. bmclaurin macrumors member

    bmclaurin

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #5
    Historically, I have almost always bought the high-end models, not because I need them, rather because I typically don't mind paying extra to have the fastest machine, "just because." :)

    That said, this time around I made a snap decision to buy the 1.1/256 rMB simply because they had one in stock in my local BB. I've been using it for a week for pretty much the same type applications as the OP, and it has been more than up to task. I'm completely satisfied.

    In my case, I tend to upgrade somewhat frequently, so I kind of like the idea of sticking with the 1.1/256 for now to see what the future might bring in v2.

    Good luck with your decision. I know the indecision is a killer.


    EDIT: If the rMB was going to be your only computer, I might see paying extra for the top model, but if you plan to keep your other machines, why bother? The rMB is not meant to be a power user's machine.
     
  6. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

    Mindinversion

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2008
    #6
    By your definition, everyone should be driving Ferrari? I know it's not the same thing, but the comparison made me giggle, though I'd share it.

    O/P: how about a compromise? Go with the 1.2 512 version. The differences between the three are really small.. 18% sounds like more than it is, especially since you'd never really see any real world gains unless you're maxing out the processor.

    I suppose if you have the money just laying around you may as well keep it, but the price for the increased performance just isn't there unless you know you're going to need every last ounce of processor on a consistent basis.
     
  7. One2Manycats macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #7
    I am actually in the same boat.

    My 1.3 order is still several weeks away from being filled, but just managed to pickup a 1.1 from Best Buy. Will probably open and keep the Best Buy one.

    Honestly, if the Apple Store had the 1.3 on day one I would gladly paid for the fully loaded model. Due to supply issues I have had lots of time to think about my purchase. Maybe too much time:)

    If the 1.3 upgrade got you better graphics then it would be worth it! As it stands you will probably only gain 16-20% in terms of a benchmark. Depending on your usage you may not even sense the speed increase.

    I am thinking I will probably stay with the 1.1 and put the amount saved towards my next Mac. It just seems like the cost of the 1.3 does not get you very much more.
     
  8. Mattymoocow macrumors member

    Mattymoocow

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #8
    I too had a 1.3 on order with 4-6 week wait time. The 1.2/512's became available from a non Apple store, and I decided not to wait, I couldn't justify the 4-6 week wait for an additional 0.1gHz. The 1.2 runs well enough for the things I need it for, and now I have a machine with no wait period!
     
  9. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

    Theophil1971

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2015
    Location:
    USA
    #9
    Man, if a Ferrari only cost 12% more than my Honda, hell YA I'd be driving one instead of this prosaic family sedan...
     
  10. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #10
    Since I'm likely keeping this computer for the long run, I don't think a few more weeks to wait is a big deal. If I were going to sell it next year, I would buy the 1.1
     
  11. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #11
    I don't think their is much different between the models.

    I was aiming for a 1.1, but ended up with a 1.2 due to stock. Compared it to the 1.1 my friend has and I don't see any need for the extra.
     
  12. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

    Mindinversion

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2008
    #12
    In theory you could buy a Ferrari for only $ 1.00. Insurance would *STILL* murder you :p
     
  13. One2Manycats macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #13
    Just killed my 1.3 order and opened the 1.1 I just got from Best Buy.

    Love the new MacBook, it's all good!

    As much as I love this new MacBook I am glad that I never paid more than the base price. Normally I go max on my Apple gear, but the starting price on this little guy just seemed high.

    Don't get me wrong. Glad I got it, but happy I didn't pay anymore than I had to for this one.
     
  14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #14
    If money is an issue and you think the 1.1 is enough, then get it. You can always upgrade to a rev. B or C in the future.
     
  15. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #15
    If the notion of spending $250 more for occassionally noticeable performance boost seems excessive AND you want the fastest portable possible AND you don't really need a portable computer now, why not just wait for the second generation or refurbished model?
     
  16. wolfie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    #16
    get the 1.1 or 1.2.

    Extra power for money for your needs is not worth it. Your better off keeping the change, and in next years gen or two, buy that model with OVERALL improvements from every angle, and sell your existing one if it does not meet your needs anymore.
     
  17. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #17
    Just keep it at this point, why beat yourself up, the machine will be faster then the other models and who knows, you may find yourself using it for photography.
     
  18. dugbug macrumors 65816

    dugbug

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2008
    Location:
    Somewhere in Florida
    #18
    I second the 1.2/512. You probably would appreciate the space given your photography.

    I got the 1.3/512 because I will keep this long term.
     
  19. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

    Pagemakers

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Location:
    Manchester UK
    #19
    I'm in the same boat. Undecided on 1.1 or 1.3

    I'm upgrading from a Mid 2011 MBA.

    From the limited testing I have done in store, the MacBook 1.1 is considerably faster than my Air (i5 1.7)

    For example, on the MacBook, Office applications open after a single dock bounce. On my Air, there are 3/4 dock bounces before the app opens.

    I know it's not scientific but it's a pointer...
     
  20. noobinator macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #20
    Get the 1.1, any intensive work you can do on one of your various more powerful machines. I have the 1.1 and love it and notice no lag or hiccups.
     
  21. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #21
    These two back-to-back posts pretty much summed up the two camps on Macrumors about BTO upgrades in-general. It's incredible.
     
  22. elithrar macrumors 6502

    elithrar

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    #22
    The CPU speed difference only matters on heavily CPU bound tasks, of which there are few. Any short-term tasks will benefit from Turbo Boost, and most tasks are I/O bound.

    aka "18% faster" is very far from the practical truth.
     
  23. GrantMeThePower thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2011
    #23
    It also summarizes my internal dialogue incredibly well!
     
  24. funkphenomenon2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    #24
    Do you mean closer to the practical truth, or further? -- Just wanted to not leave anything to misinterpretation :)
     
  25. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #25
    "at proccessing", I said. It'll be almost exactly 18% faster at that. There is also the consideration that it might well run cooler at load (and full load) than the 1.1 and thus throttle less, so it could potentially be more than that. We don't know yet.
     

Share This Page