1&1 Web Hosting Servers

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Andy Higgins, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Andy Higgins macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am moving a website bulit with iWeb currently sitting on .Mac onto 1&1 web hosting. I have the choice of a MS server or a Linux server, could anyone advice me on the most suitable option please?

Thanks

Andy.;)

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

MojoWill

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You'll normally pay a little more for Windows hosting, which there is little point to unless you need ASP .Net, which with iWeb you don't. Go Linux.

4. Andy Higgins thread starter macrumors newbie

Linux it is then, thanks guys. Do you thinks 1.5GB is a sufficient amount of websapce to host a simple site?

How can i accurately find the size of my soze currently? Do i just get the info on the folder on my iDisk?

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

1.5 GB will be plenty for a long time. I host my site on 1&1 and host a complete copy in a test folder along with a few other small sites and I am nowhere near the limit yet. That said, if you host a lot of video or a lot of hi-res photos your space will fill up much more quickly. I try to keep all of those types of files hosted elsewhere for my site.

6. Andy Higgins thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give that a go then, it's a site for a friend of mine who designs and makes wedding and celebration cakes, i am showing her work with jpegs but they will all be 72dpi so i don't think they will fill the 1.5GB very soon?:confused:

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You'll be fine. The images are probably less than 1 MB anyway and unless she wants to keep a picture of EVERY cake she makes you may not ever come close to that limit.

8. Andy Higgins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all your help guys, she'll be chuffed, as the Home package (1.5GB) is free for 1 year. :D