1/2 a year. The greatest laptop I've ever owned.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZiggyPastorius, May 26, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All right, well, I just decided to post a little rant...feel free to move it to the wasteland if it's inappropriate, Mods :)

Anyways, I know there are people who keep their computers for 3-6 years and more, and I can't compete with that yet, but I just want to let everyone know that after 6 months since I made the switch, it is still the best purchasing decision I've ever made, I'd say. Hopefully I'll get the chance to see how it holds up 4-6 years from now, but I may give it to my mom when I go to college since I'm getting a Macbook Pro (It's mandatory). Hopefully I'll have an equal or better experience with that Macbook Pro as I've had with this Macbook :)

So six months and 226 battery cycles later, my Macbook is still amazing. I abuse the thing, taking it to school every single day in my backpack with no case. I walk with it, using it with one hand and holding it in the other, I use it as an iPod in closed lid mode + insomniaX, and so much else. It comes in and out 20+ times a day, on desks and in my lap and in bed, and it hardly ever fails me. I still get about 4-4 1/2 hours of battery life (measured today with mild usage: Flash/web browsing, iTunes, Adium, Logic express, iCal, and Mail open at all times, and at one point I emptied a heavy trash load which took a few minutes and opened an OS 9 emulator). So I have no complaints there...my Dell Inspiron got about 2 hours when I bought it and now gets like an hour and a half a year and some months later...I'm sure there are better computers in terms of battery life, but this is the best computer I've ever owned for that, and 4 hours is good enough for anything I need!

I've had little issues...I experienced the DVD player issue twice (I no longer use DVD player, so I haven't experienced those Kernel panics), and have been dealing with the Apogee Duet kernel panic issue (which is not the Macbook's fault completely...) and there are little things it does to me, but no crashes besides the ones I mentioned, and it still runs fast, even when I'm working it in Handbrake/folding/whatever. I still love the aesthetics, too! I am so attracted to the Macbook's looks (in terms of laptop design :p I'm not really attracted to my computer), and I just feel great when I use the computer. I'm sure many of the adults on here can attest, and maybe some of the younger people, but at the age of 17, for me to work, save my money, and be able to completely pay off this computer I've wanted (and the Duet...and all the other stuff in between) along with gas, insurance, et cetera...It's a wonderful feeling. I feel really good about myself, knowing that I worked hard to get what I wanted, and I feel good about myself using such a beautiful and trustworthy piece of equipment. It was a wonderful investment.

One thing I've talked highly about for a long time is Apple's customer service. Maybe...two or three months after I got my Macbook, I had a dumb attack, and ended up dropping it (it wasn't like a, "whoops!" type of a drop, it was a, "****, I forgot I was holding my Macbook too when I dropped my books" kind of a drop). So it's completely my fault, and the Macbook survives! It does some weird diagnostics thing on the screen and is fine, runs fine, et cetera. The case is a little crooked, but not enough to bother me, and there's a chip next to the USB port, but it wasn't until later that I found out the DVD drive was broken. I called Apple, received a box and sent it in. It was back the next day, good as new. This is analogous to when I got my iPod...I dropped it, and smashed the screen...same deal. I got a box, sent it in, and had a brand new one the next day. Apple has, hands down, the greatest customer service I've seen in the computer industry, and it's one of the biggest things that will keep me a buyer for a long time. Atleast until they screw up big time for me.

But, anyways, I could go on for a long time about how happy I've been with my computer. I plugged in my Windows box a few days ago, and it's normal operating loudness (as in, not doing anything, just sitting there at the login screen) is louder than my Macbook's loudest fan speeds. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine computer, but goddamn it is loud! It just makes me appreciate the quietness of my laptop so much more. So to everyone considering a Macbook: Don't hesitate! It's a wonderful, completely capable machine, and Apple is a wonderful company for repairing and customer service. Don't consider this an I-love-Apple rant, so much as a, I've experienced something that makes me one happy consumer!

Peace everyone,

Dustin Cleveland

2. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Yeah I feel the same way almost 3 years after I got my first iMac and several months since I got my first MacBook (Black)!

Just 2 weeks ago bought my 2nd refurbed wireless mouse. It had the wandering cursor disease--)))) Called Apple up, they shipped me a brand new one 2 day fed-ex and told me to keep the old one or do whatever with it! I could not be any happier with Apple!

It's truly been a Great experience for me and everyday I work with windows at work IM reminded why I switched and just how much I appreciate my Mac's!

Best wishes when ya get your new MB Pro!
    ;):):D:apple:

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thank you :) Apple has been so good to me in terms of custom service, it's really amazing. Glad to hear you're having a great time, too!

While I don't necessarily hate Windows, and can handle using it, I so prefer OS Ten. I use Windows sometimes at school when I have to and I use it next to me on my Windows box since I need it for one application and refuse to put it on my Macbook. It's just that when I go to Windows, I don't feel as productive...It just doesn't seem to work well for me in the way OS ten does, even though I've been using Windows for like 10 years and OS ten for six months... :eek:

4. tdevers macrumors regular

I feel the same way about my 7 month old Black MacBook. I really don't know how I lived without before! Its an excellent piece of hardware with incredibly great software. Mine hasn't been used as much as yours, but I love it just the same!

It looks wonderful sitting on its iCurve next to my iPhone. :)

5. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I agree, my MacBook has been solid for the past month and half of heavy usage. I've taken it to school with me twice, and people won't let me use the thing for more than five minutes because they all want to try it out. Mine hasn't had any case cracking, the screen looks great, and everything has worked as I expected. This is hands down the best computer I have ever owned, and I haven't missed using my iMac one bit. I plan on upgrading to 4GB RAM and a 160GB HD very soon. I've never been happier with a computer.

But anyways, glad to see somebody happy with their MacBook. I know the MacBook Pro will give you an ever great computing experience. :)

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

(6) months and your MB and iPod have been through all that? Reminds me of that Samsonite commercial where they throw the luggage in to the guerrilla and it gets tossed-up! Good Luck. Enjoy your Apple Stuff! :eek::cool:

7. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

glad your happy . im reasonably happy with my macbook but its not all good the screen is **** and the quality iffy ( heats up viewing flash pehh)

So i cant 100% share in your joy but im glad your happy.

8. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ah, no, my iPod is from 2005. My Macbook is six months old, though, and has put up with me well :)

Sorry to hear that. Flash is a resource hog, and if you're using Safari, I recommend using The Greatest Browser On The Planet, as from my experience, it has far fewer issues with upping your processor usage with flash, and it's just better.

Other than that, hope things look up for you. It's true the screen isn't the best, and I'm sure it could be better, but it's the best out of my laptops and isn't too much of a problem for me, so no reason for me to complain. :) I can see where one would get annoyed with it, though. Good luck.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good to hear, keep us advised and think about a free iPod this year with a replacement MB! (That would be nice huh?). :p

10. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Add another happy MacBook user here!

Got a black MacBook in November'07, and have been using as my main personal machine since <== read as being left on almost 24x7 and worked hard. It is taking this not-too-gentle treatment very well. No funny noises or other weird problems. Of course I pamper it a wee bit, so far just a Moshi Palmguard plus occasional wipe-downs to clean it up.

Best of all, the build quality feels substantially better than a Dell Inspiron costing twice as much.

11. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

WOW, 6 months and already 226 cycles. I've had my Blackbook 2 months and only gone 15 cycles. I guess this is because I have it plugged into an outlet half the time when I use it. I let it run down to 20% only twice a week.

12. Mackan macrumors 65816

No moral issues with making Apple pay for your mistakes?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, I'm sure they can't sleep at night for worry that Apple having chosen to replace this might be eating heavily in to their market value and ~$16bn cash pile. Poor poor Apple.

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Dude, all I gotta say is WOW!

You really get your money's worth. Good for you!

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

So you been using windows since you where 7 years old then ?

16. Mackan macrumors 65816

Hardly an appropriate answer. You evaded the real issue. It doesn't suddenly make it right to trick someone because that someone has a lot of money.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Appropriate, please :rolleyes: I didn't evade the issue, there isn't one. Apple replaced it, it was up to them. An iPod with a smashed screen is pretty obvious, likewise is a laptop that's been dropped. If they choose not to question how the damage was sustained, that's up to them. No one need feel guilty. Not standard practice, but in this instance the OP got lucky, good for them.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Hah, yeah same here. I was worried my iMac would barely be used after getting a MacBook but it's quite the opposite.

19. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Good for you OP.

It's weird reading these things. I have heard the same sort of things over and over again from recent Mac converts in the last 2-3 years. Again and again the refrain is: "How could I have not known about this?" Most people I know now have a Macintosh as their personal computer (most have MacBooks).

I've been using Macs for over a decade and OS X since release. I often wondered how people could stand using non-Apple machines (I still tear my hair out when I have to use Windows XP). Being a Mac user used to be a pretty lonely life, with a few other "tainted" people making up the numbers.

As I said, it has been strange. There was a definite pickup with the Slashdot crowd moving towards Apple after the release of OS X, but the influx of new users in the last two years has been staggering. I thought Apple would pick up marketshare, but I never expected anything like this.

20. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Maybe not heavily, but I've been using computers since I was pretty young. In terms of everyday use, I didn't start using it heavily until I was 10.

I didn't trick Apple. I told them I damaged the CD drive in my Macbook, and requested a box to send it in for them to look at. Same thing with the iPod. I sent it in and they were very good about fixing it for me. I didn't lie, and there was no trickery involved, it was up to them to fix it or not.

Edit: On a side note, too, while I can't say for certain, and it's definitely not Apple's fault I dropped my iPod, when I got the iPod, I had it for about a week, and it was the first time I'd dropped it, and it shot it to hell. The iPod I got to replace it that I've had since then has been dropped atleast 100 times, sometimes on cement and stuff, and it's never been damaged at all.

Yeah :) My friend has a Macbook for college. He got it a while before me (it's still on Tiger), and I got to play with it before I got my Macbook. I liked it ;)