1/2 day with iOS 6 on iPhone 4S ...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by craigtone, Sep 20, 2012.

1. craigtone macrumors newbie

So I installed iOS6 last night because "typically" when Apple releases something it is ready for prime time. NOT the case with iOS6!

The first snafu was the WiFi issue but that got resolved when they restored that ping webpage.

Maps is slow as molasses! I personally like the new map look but it is S-O S-L-O-W!!!

I have not been able to download e-mail since installing iOS 6 (except once). I read the forums about deleting the accounts and recreating. I did that and still nothing on WiFi or 3G. I then restarted and it did a one-time download and nothing since. Do I need to restart to update my e-mail?

Battery life is horrific! I am normally at ~70% by noon and today am at 30% but it has been trying to Connect to my mail servers non-stop. And no, it is not updated all my apps, I did that last night.

The new Apple Store is horrible! Obviously designed with a larger iPad screen in mind. scrolling in all 4 directions to see what belongs on a website NOT a phone screen is very annoying.

I allowed it to "update' my contacts from Facebook and it overwrote all my data! If the person did not have their phone number or hid their real e-mail and used their FB e-mail on their FB page, it OVERWRITES your contact info instead of appending it!

The good:

- Do Not Disturb - LONG overdue!!!
    - Panorama Camera
    - Facebook Integration
    - Shared PhotoStreams

IMHO, the bads FAR outweigh the good, so DO NOT install it unless you have no other option to do so!

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

maps needs a lot of work, and the app store...will take getting used to. but my overall reaction to ios6 is very different, everything is working beautifully here (so far...) and am very happy... am not having any of those issues.

3. penguy macrumors 6502

This must be somewhat individual then...I have an iPhone 4 and maps is SO much faster than it was with google...it's hard to even compare...it renders both maps and satelite imagery far faster. where has the holdup been for you?

as far as facebook is concerned, I logged in, but turned both calendar and contacts off...then selected update all contacts...worked beautifully.

4. King Bowser macrumors regular

only maps is messing up for me

oh and passbook

siri sounds muffled

everything else is working real good

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Outside of the standard observations on maps and passbook iOS 6 is working great. I'm not having the battery issues you identify.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I've found maps to be really fast as well.

7. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

havent had any of these issues. 3D maps is pretty cool.

8. tamvly, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Ditto ...

Maps is, well, terrible, IMHO, compared to the Google version. Looks like Apple really fumbled the ball on this one. I'll be curious to see how long it takes for updates to this disaster.

The App Store is incomprehensible. I don't understand this redesign at all. Also, the app update process seems unintelligent. Despite having almost 3GB of free space, the app update refused to proceed due to "insufficient storage". How about installing a few apps, freeing up some space and then starting over. I finally had to delete a bunch of music and then reinstall. Silly.

Oh, and the Updates page frequently just freezes while the apps are downloading.

9. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Maps is fast on my new iPad and iPhone 4s as long as I keep it in Standard mode.

It can get a little choppy in flyover mode, particularly in dense cities, and occasionally I've had the app crash.

Not a big issue, but clearly this app uses a lot of horsepower and can use some optimization.

10. Type4O macrumors 6502

Type4O

After the initial frustration with the WIFI, I have found some things I like about iOS6:
    podcast subscription on device and syncing across devices,
    individual signature per email account,
    share to Facebook,
    the phone not-answering enhancements,
    insert photo to email from email,
    do not disturb

I have an iPhone 4, so I don't get the camera updates :(

They still haven't added the ability to add the currently playing song to playlists from the Now Playing screen :(

Maps is slow and apparently has no transit directions, at least here in Toronto, Canada. It gives me a list of apps I can buy from the app store :mad:.

I freaked when it downloaded all my Facebook contacts and duplicated most of my iPhone contacts, but after finding the Link button in the bottom right corner of the contact card, I soon cleared that up.

I also have an iPad and hate the music player on it.

There also seems to be a lack of consistency in the UI across apple apps and even within apps - black, blue, white, pink with purple dots :rolleyes:, flat, 3D.

I will not downgrade back to 5.x though as I wanted the other stuff, so this is my last bitch session about iOS 6. Onward and upward to 7.0 :D

11. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Still noway to turn off 3g and go back to edge.
    Before any of you rabid fan boys go, why would you want to do that....
    Well, two reason.
    I getter a better signal under edge at my house.
    3G is almost unusable but yet the phone still hangs on to the signal.
    Turning off 3G dramatically increases battery life.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

That is strange about the contacts. Mine didn't edit any of my iCloud contacts. It just created new Facebook contacts and then linked them together.

13. craigtone thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe it is a Verizon issue? Are the ones with everything working on Verizon or AT&T?

I highly doubt it as I can surf the net fine from the phone.

14. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Wait your email isn't working and you know the solution is to just delete and recreate the accounts, but instead of doing that, you allowed it to constantly check for email most of the day and drain your battery. Seriously!

Just recreate the damn email accounts - Problem solved! These type glitches happen from time to time, though most aren't having it.

To tell everyone not to upgrade, well I guess that is your opinion, but I disagree.

I've had no issues.... Maps need work and they will get it over time. However, everything else is working perfectly! Great install and well worth it!

15. craigtone thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you illiterate? Can you not read what I wrote? :rolleyes:

16. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

For some reason, after updating I can't send or receive MMS. I'm on H2O and I'm factory unlocked. Everything was fine before the update. :/

17. cynics macrumors G4

Might want to reread his post lol

18. craigtone thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: So last night I did a Reset All and still no dice. This AM I was noticing that changes I was making in Settings were not instantly taking place like they did in iOS 5 ... Hmmmm ...

I deleted ALL of my e-mail accounts in Settings and the Mail app screen was empty except the VIP Inbox but the icon still shows unread mail. I restart the phone. When it first came up, unread mail count was still there then went away. I opened Mail and had the Add Account screen. I first added my AT&T account and it worked instantly. I added my Exchange account and this time it gave me an error that it could not connect to server. I checked my settings and I forgot to add the domain. I added the domain and Mail is now working!

So, to summarize my issues - It seems the changes (delete and re-add) did not take effect until restarting the phone. Exchange errors were suppressed and not showing, instead phone constantly showing "Connecting".

19. craigtone thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE 2: AT&T e-mail appears fine but now Exchange is hanging again. Seems there is some issues with iOS 6 Mail and Exchange Server compatibility. If I delete the Exchange account, the phone is not trying to continuously connect and the battery life is normal.

20. jaytaylor87 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to confirm the problems with the mail app on iphone 4s with IOS 6, i'm having the exact same problem as you.

I cant connect to app store at all either for some reason :s

Internet and wifi are absolutely fine, but my concern is that my phone is getting extremely hot since the update, to the point that i almost cant hold it. It does it even when all my apps are closed and im kinda worried its gonna burn my phone out :s

21. scottytwo macrumors member

Um, yes you can.

try settings/general/cellular/enable 3G

22. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Simply not true. I upgraded to IOS 6 and for all of my FB contacts are integrated perfectly with my existing contacts. Nothing missing and no duplicates, just additional information filled in from FB.

And with maps, my IOS6 is way faster. Particularly traffic info. Used to take 10-20 secs. for traffic info to appear on Google maps. Only a second or two on IOS 6.

23. cynics macrumors G4

I don't think you can if you are a user in the US. I don't have that option with Verizon, however with Verizon it's point to disable 3G anyway.

24. lulumink macrumors regular

They need to build a function to turn off the 3D view for big cities!
    Sometimes I just want to look at the flat aerial photographs, not the jaggy edged 3d image from above!

to Passbook:

We can now download apps from app store. But what the heck? Do we have to download each individual app for each company in order to make Passbook to work? I don't want to download 100 companies apps to get all the coupons, tickets in one place.:mad:

25. craigtone thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I beg to differ! Have you seen MY phone and MY contacts? You have not ... what is with the a-holes on this forum? I am telling you it REMOVED phone numbers and CHANGED e-mail addresses!

Next time do your research on other forums before spouting off your "opinions" ... this appears to be a COMMON PROBLEM with iOS 6! Also of note is that all of the issues described here seem to be person dependent and not related to any specific hardware, etc. I guess Apple does not understand what the term SQA means! :confused:

----------

I can see Apple's "vision" here with location awareness and profiling. For example, you pay online or via your phone you get a Pass which automatically downloads to your phone. Now when you enter the store, Location Services knows you are at that vendor and that Pass appears even on your lock screen so it can be scanned without needing to unlock your phone.

It all sounds pretty cool, but until vendors get on-board and start utilizing it, none of us will know what it is capable of.