$1,200 towards what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stephen Dowling, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hey guys and gals, it's me again.

Here is the thing,

I have $1,200 dollars i'm willing to spend (without tax) on a new setup. That could be a brand new UMBP 13", or a $600 BlackBook off of Ebay and something else, etc.

What should I do? Top of the line performance isn't a necessity, but I do want something that is still "snappy" in Apple's terms. ;)

Just post your ideas, you all are a great community. I know I will get some awesome answers!

Thanks

2. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

why not am imac? Or a secondary display for your macbook?
    Are you getting rid of your current computer?

3. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Yeah, I'm selling it. I originally was selling to buy a new 13" MBP. But then I came up with the above question. I'm just looking for ideas right now. Ya know?:rolleyes:

4. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I'd go for a 13" MBP (if possible) or uMB from the refurbished store. Saves you cash and you'll get what you want!

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Refurb 120 GB Mac mini with either 1x Dell 2408WFP or 2x 2209WFP. The adapters are $30 a piece.

Or if you want a laptop get a refurb white MacBook and refurb 24'' ACD.

In either case, I'd wait a few weeks to see what happens to the prices of those.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

i would also go with that setup and an external display:)
    check out the refurb store...uMBP 13inch for $899 which is quite cheap;)

7. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

how would spending money on a Blackbook be a 'new' setup? I'd sell your Macbook (please stop calling it collectors edition, that implies people actually want it, which they don't) and buy a 13.3 MBP.

8. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have an investment opportunity for you. You give me your $1,200 and in 4 years ill double your $1,200. Image what you can buy with $2,400. :D

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

For $899, that's not the uMBP, that's the uMB.

11. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Also, sorry for calling it a "Collectors Edition". I really wasn't trying to upset anyone. Also, the only problem with saving it up is that I'm a student and as soon as my MacBook is sold tomorrow, I'll be without a computer. Hopefully not for a very long time. ;)

Thanks again

12. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

you won't be disappointed with a 13" uMBP, but really how is that much different than your current setup?

I traded my 2.0 "collectors edition" in for a 13" umbp because I bought the uMB a week before WWDC.... so stupid.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

That made me laugh!

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

Also, what are your main uses from the computer? Why even sell the one you have? You using Cinema 4D, AfterEffects CS4, Final Cut? If you are just doing the usual "some PS, web browsing, email, some powerpoint" deal, then you are wasting your money. just my opinion.

16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd go the 13" MBP + AppleCare + higher processor speed option if they have one for the 13". Not sure if that goes over your $1200 budget or not.

That's assuming you want a laptop and you don't need a high screen res, and you're not doing heavy work.

I'd not go with whatever a blackbook is, not that I know what it is, but my puter-sense is going wild! danger!

I'd not get the blackbook if it runs windows, but that's just me. Still don't know what it is though.

Kind Regards

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you can squeeze in another $100, a low-end 15.4" uMBP is the best choice. Refurbs start at $1299.

I'd actually just go with a refurb iMac.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If your current system works, and you don't absolutely need the extra life battery or firewire on the new rig, why sell it?

Save your money, but buy applecare for your macbook if you haven't done so already.

19. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Thanks for all of the great responses! I have Apple Care already purchased for my MacBook. To be honest, I do need an illuminated keyboard, firewire, and the batter will at least be a great bonus! :rolleyes:

20. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

A "blackbook" is an original (plastic) 13-inch MacBook with the black case. It does run Windows, but it runs OSX too :D

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah OK, blackbook sounds OK then, although personally I would with the MBP over a MB.
    Kind Regards

22. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Get the MacBook Pro, better than the BlackBook by far, and it will last you longer.

23. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

If I didn't already own the Mac pro 13" I'd go with that. Since I own it, I'm waiting 2 more weeks to see what kind of refresh comes out with the Imac if the rumors should come to light. If they don't I will be in the refurb store so fast getting me one of those lovely Imac's & so should you. Just give it about 2 more weeks then make your move.

Good luck!

24. JCP21 macrumors member

I would go with macbook pro, great alround laptop [​IMG]

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You do realize that the blackbook won't have the extended battery or the illuminated keyboard, right?