Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I think I've only ever seen one of these in a museum once when I was about 10, but there it was nestled in a little driveway in Chelsea, London - a DeLorean! Mardee!

Attachments

• DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 333

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Looks pretty retro now. Futuristic in 1985, but retro now.

/I just said retro twice. :D
//ahah! 3 times.
///bla!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Lacero said:
Looks pretty retro now. Futuristic in 1985, but retro now.

/I just said retro twice. :D
//ahah! 3 times.
///bla!

Yeah but there's no Mr Fusion or Flux Capacitor, flying modification or Uranium processor on this one so it's bound to look a bit lacking...

Was in pretty good condition though and I didn't realise they sat so damn low.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Well I'll be damned! That's awesome! I don't believe I've ever seen one in person before - I'm sure I'd be underwhelmed after "growing up" with BTTF movies, but still...

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Ahhh the Delorean. What a fantastic car. You should have waited about and asked the owner what ££ he was looking for it.

Retro :cool:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
clayj said:
Argh... it's "gigawatts", not "jiggawatts". (Which, I swear to you, sounds like some sort of racist word.)

Oops. I was spelling it phonetically I guess but wouldn't have thought it be Gigawatts.

Any chance a MOD change the title accordingly?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
I know somebody who has one, won't let me drive it either. Fairly lackluster performance and the stainless needs a good polish

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
barneygumble said:
I know somebody who has one, won't let me drive it either. Fairly lackluster performance and the stainless needs a good polish

Just had a quick look. There's a members club and everything in the UK. Mint ones go for about £12k.

Owners Club

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
EGT said:
Ahhh the Delorean. What a fantastic car. You should have waited about and asked the owner what ££ he was looking for it.

Retro :cool:

I have to say there was a twang of 'hmmm that would make an interesting project...' but I don't have two cents to rub together at the mo so it was a thought that was quickly dismissed.

Aside from it indeed needing a damn good clean (^^^^^^^), it looked in pretty good condition.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've never had the pleasure of seeing one in person myself, but its looks like it could be a fun car, for amusement's sake.

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
My Dad has one pretty much exactly like that. Looks to be an '83 with black interior. It is a pretty fun car to drive. The performance is somewhat lackluster, it definitely looks a lot faster than it actually is. But since my Dad's is a 5-speed, when you drive it, it feels a like it has a reasonable amount of get up and go.
They're actually pretty reliable if you keep them reasonably well-maintained. There are a ton of new old stock parts still around, they had originally planned on building 30,000 cars/year and only about 10,000 made it off the assembly line. Those parts are now owned by DMC-Houston, (no corporate affiliation to the original DeLorean Motor Co., just the same name) and they'll sell completely refurbished ones for like ~$35K if I remember right. Solid, well maintained cars usually go for about $20~25K.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
clayj said:
Argh... it's "gigawatts", not "jiggawatts". (Which, I swear to you, sounds like some sort of racist word.)
Great Scott! For the movie the writers really did spell it "jigowatt" because they were going only by what they heard in a lecture. :)

The neighbors had a DMC when they were still being made. It was always broken. They also decided to paint it, brown :p

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
When I was about 14-15 years old (so like 15 years ago...damn) I saw one driving down the freeway. We kind of followed it for a while and marveled at it. Then when it took an exit my firend said, "there goes the lesbian." Of course, at 14 we all thought that was really funny as the word was still kind of taboo then.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I've only ever seen a deloreon in person once and it was probably in one of the most ironic locations ever. Perhaps it only applies to Canadians because I'm not sure if they exist in the US (I think they're Best Buy's) but it was in the parking lot of a Future Shop!! And not even as like a demo or anything, it was just someone's car.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
AlBDamned said:
I think I've only ever seen one of these in a museum once when I was about 10, but there it was nestled in a little driveway in Chelsea, London - a DeLorean! Mardee!

"Aaarggh!" It's Marty, not Mardee!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iMeowbot said:
Great Scott! For the movie the writers really did spell it "jigowatt" because they were going only by what they heard in a lecture. :)

Jigga, what? :eek: ;) :D

Yes...gigawatts are a real unit of measurement, jigowatts in that movie. :)

And Jigga, what? If you're Jay-Z. :D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I would love a Delorean. There is an official Delorean dealership in Florida, too, but I don't have the time or money to put into one to buy it and keep it up. My 89 Ford Probe GT sucks up all the free money I have between maintenance and upgrades. Besides, going from a high pressure turbo to that dog of an engine would hurt. They sure are sexy vehicles, though. I'd love to get the roadless flying option on it, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.