1.25 GHz SP MDD Freezing occasionally!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GGGUUUYYY, Apr 9, 2009.

1. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

It will do it using Leopard and Tiger.

It has been freezing and then i have to restart it. It freezes under light and heavy loads doesn't matter. Thought it might have been the mouse but its not because if it freezes while playing music the music will skip in one spot.

I've heard about a firmware update but don't know where to find this.

Thanks for any help.

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

Have you tried an archive and install? Give it a shot.

3. jons macrumors 6502

What is your ram configuration? What do your logs say?

4. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

I Don't have the leopard disc or tiger disc's

2 GB I did add 2 512 MB sticks. What do you mean "logs"?

Thanks

5. grue macrumors 65816

Check your HDD out. Dying HDDs cause things along those lines.

6. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what i thought but it still freezes on two separate HDDs (one for tiger and one for leopard)

I checked the S.M.A.R.T status and both drives are verified

7. grue macrumors 65816

Fair enough. One thing to keep in mind though is this:

SMART is a lot like Apple's hardware test software, in that it won't always recognize a problem that's 100% there, but if it finds something it's rarely wrong.

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Are you seeing kernel panics? If you are, this may help. I'm not saying it's definitely the cause, but it was on my old MDD G4 and it took me weeks to diagnose. :mad:

It wasn't a problem with the RAM, but it was a problem with the RAM slots. They had become tarnished and so, when the hardware test app "pinged" the registers everything seemed OK, but when the machine was expected to actually store and retrieve data, it all came tumbling down, so to speak. Kernel panics galore!

The answer was to buy some electronic cleaning solvent (I used Servisol Aero Kleene 50) and spray the RAM slots liberally (when powered-down, of course) and then re-seat the RAM a few times with some enthusiasm. After that, I had no further problems, and the machine is still in use in a friend's home-studio.

9. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

Any third party software to check better then apples?

No kernal panic

EDIT:

It just froze downloading some files. I downloaded the firmware update to.

10. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

It has froze twice in the last ten minutes. Would this be a CPU problem?

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

What exactly do you mean by "froze"? Does the computer totally lock up (keyboard does nothing, mouse cursor does not move, etc), or does the mouse still move, you can still hear sounds? Does is "unfreeze" if you leave it for a while?

If you can't move the mouse at all, then either the computer is overheating, or more likely there is some kind of RAM conflict going on. Possibly even video card. If you are still able to move the mouse or it unfreezes after a minute, then i'd say its a hard drive/OS issue. But since you say you have two different OS installs, its more likely to be a hardware issue.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

It could be. The only real issue with a CPU (unless you've overvolted it, which you haven't), is heat. It's possible it's started to overheat, though that seems unlikely unless you've placed it recently in a much hotter environment, or somehow the heatsink got unseated... which seems unlikely. You can try checking the heatsink. Temperature readings on a G4 are going to be completely inaccurate, since... well, since the G4 temperature register is completely useless. . . hm.

The hard drive still seems possible. I think if even one is malfunctioning in a certain way, it can freeze the whole thing; try booting from one with the other turned off (just unplug the molex power connector), and then if it's freezing, try it with the other one on and the other unplugged.

Of course, it's possible they're both bad, though that seems unlikely unless they're both the same make/model.

Are you low on disk space? If so that could contribute. Try a CUDA and a PRAM reset... especially a PRAM reset. Try reseating the memory. recheck all connections.

13. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

It completely locks up and if music is playing it will skip in the same place.

Not low on disk space. I will try this stuff.

Thanks

14. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

Unplugged the tiger HDD and the problem has appeared to stop.

15. awmazz macrumors 65816

Have you got the 'master' and 'slave' jumpers set properly on the drives? The drive at the end of the cable should be the master.

If you've disconnected one drive and the problem's gone away with the other drive working fine now, it could be both were set to 'master' or 'cable select'. I've always had problems with 'cable select' not working as advertised on my MDDs with two drives on the same cable so I always stick with the master/slave settings.

16. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

I been having my finder quitting and restarting whenever i click on the finder icon in the dock. This is the error i get. I resently installed a driver for a iP3500 canon printer.

Code:
    30/04/09 2:24:49 PM ReportCrash[170] Symbolication warning: fde.addrRange.location 0xa054e0a0 isn't in the the __TEXT segment [0x93b2c000 - 0x00002000) 
    30/04/09 2:24:49 PM ReportCrash[170] Symbolication warning: fde.addrRange.location 0xa054e0a4 isn't in the the __TEXT segment [0x93b2c000 - 0x00002000) 
    30/04/09 2:24:52 PM com.apple.launchd[73] ([0x0-0x18018].com.apple.finder[153]) Exited abnormally: Bus error