1.25GHz G4 iMac & H264 Encodes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by j3tang, Aug 1, 2008.

1. j3tang macrumors regular

I've got a 1.25GHz G4 iMac with 1.5 GB of ram running on Leopard and I'm also an avid anime addict. Lately, more and more anime are being encoded in H264 and my iMac just can't handle it anymore. In some cases, I get sound but no video (processing power is enough for sound, but just not enough juice for the H264 decoding) and the sound plays with no stutter/lag. However, in other cases, everything is laggy.

Either way, is there no way around this? It's not my main system, and I can accept the fact that it's an outdated system, but I've been able to do most things I usually do with it without problems. I'll never get rid of this baby, so I would like to know if anything can be done to stretch it's potential :)

Please don't make suggestions like "you can donate it to [fill in your name here]" because the answer is "no", or "upgrade to something more recent" because the answer is "I already have something more recent".

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. j3tang thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, it plays, but stutters like crazy .. it gives me the "more than 5 secs of late video, slow computer?" message :(

4. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

If you absolutely have to view these videos on the G4 why not re-encode them as MPeg2 using some app?
    http://www.dvd-avi-mpeg.com/H-264-codec-converter-faq.htm