1.25GHz PB has white spots, but falls outside serial number range-help!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 1.25GHz Alu PowerBook with serial #V735xxxxxxx, that has the white spots problem with the display.

Unfortunately, the serial number falls outside the range for the replacement program ( V7334xxxxxx to V7345xxxxxx)

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/

I called Apple support, and the lady talked to a 'product specialist' for a few minutes, then returned and told me they wouldn't accept it. She didn't have an explanation as to why certain serial #'s qualified, and certain ones didn't (I have the same pattern of white spots as shown on the Apple web page.)

Is there anything I can do? Would it be any better if I brought my PB to a store?

I've read stories here of people getting denied support, then calling back and getting approval from a different tech personnel or supervisor. Do I need to be a 'squeaky wheel'? Will it matter?

Help!

Thanks!

PS- The page says that the replacement program is for PowerBooks manufactured from July thru November 2003. My computer is listed in their system as registered on December 16th. I would imagine that it was actually made in November, or at the very beginning of December. This really sucks.
 

L

Lau

Guest
I have a 12" PowerBook that is still just under the 1 year warranty that is starting to show a white spot just under where the Apple logo is on the back of the screen. It's a bit hard to see, but once you notice it you can't see anything else. Because of this, I'm going to take it into my local apple reseller and see what they say (even though they're evil). I'll let you know what they say.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,875
57
madmaxmedia said:
I've read stories here of people getting denied support, then calling back and getting approval from a different tech personnel or supervisor. Do I need to be a 'squeaky wheel'? Will it matter?
Yep, but having AppleCare helps quite a bit.

They are under no obligation to do anything once the warranty expires, but they do occasionally repair machines on a case-by-case basis out of warranty.

Of course if there are enough squeaky wheels complaining and talking to lawyers about class action lawsuits, they tend to act the way they did on the ibook with the shielding problem.

Be warned, once you say lawyer and or any such thing -- they will immediately stop talking to you and note that in your record.

So squeak and stay away from the bad words.
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
Lau said:
I have a 12" PowerBook that is still just under the 1 year warranty that is starting to show a white spot just under where the Apple logo is on the back of the screen. It's a bit hard to see, but once you notice it you can't see anything else. Because of this, I'm going to take it into my local apple reseller and see what they say (even though they're evil). I'll let you know what they say.
Thanks for the info, please let me know. In your case, you have the 1-year warranty on your side. Unfortunately, I don't have the original warranty coverage.

If this had been some totally unrelated problem (bad motherboard, etc.) then I understand that these things happen. But this was a big problem with a large batch of Ti and Alu PowerBooks. I understand they have to set the guidelines for a replacement program, but there's an excellent chance this PowerBook was actually made in November 2003 anyways...
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
Sun Baked said:
Yep, but having AppleCare helps quite a bit.

They are under no obligation to do anything once the warranty expires, but they do occasionally repair machines on a case-by-case basis out of warranty.

Of course if there are enough squeaky wheels complaining and talking to lawyers about class action lawsuits, they tend to act the way they did on the ibook with the shielding problem.

Be warned, once you say lawyer and or any such thing -- they will immediately stop talking to you and note that in your record.

So squeak and stay away from the bad words.
Thanks, that's great advice. If I bring up the word lawyer or lawsuit, then they must act in such a way as to infer absolutely no guilt on their part.

OTOH, I will probably take the 'beg and plead' approach next...
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
I would reccomend "politely harassing" Customer Support. Apple is known for their high-class customer support. I am a *huge* fan and have had many things go very well because of my persistance. If you make it known that this *is* a big issue, and it *should* be covered, they may cut you a break.

Try going into a local (hopefully not too distant) Apple Store. Get a Genius working on it and you may get some good results.
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
michaelrjohnson said:
I would reccomend "politely harassing" Customer Support. Apple is known for their high-class customer support. I am a *huge* fan and have had many things go very well because of my persistance. If you make it known that this *is* a big issue, and it *should* be covered, they may cut you a break.

Try going into a local (hopefully not too distant) Apple Store. Get a Genius working on it and you may get some good results.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I will have a better chance having a Genius looking at it?

I just want to make sure I make the best next move.... :)

I'm partly pissed, but at the same time understand that I am asking Apple for a favor. I think it would be a nice gesture on their part, since my PB is so close to the eligible range for a very widespread problem.
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
Have a genius look at it, because I figure this. If you have to contact apple or if the genius contacts apple, Apple is going to pay more attention to the Genius than you. So let the genius try and help you get it fixed. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Defintely try taking it into a Genius at your local Apple Store

I have a 15in 1.25ghz(Rev. A) that had the white spots pretty bad, basically they appeared in all of the boxes apple listed that were possible. I stubbled onto the replacement program website as i did not know that it even existed and when I called Apple Support they kinda gave me we prefer if you take it into a local Apple Store.

Anyway the important part of the story is even though my SN# did fall into the range of "accepted" replacements when I went to and spoke with the Genius and showed them, they did not ask for my SN#.

After filling out all the forms and getting an appointment set up i brought it back in two days later they replaced it and gave me a receipt with my original purchase date and all. I'm wondering however if they truly checked my SN# or if they checked my purchase date. It honestly seemed like they put the order in, i returned and had it replaced and then left.

So I would suggest taking it in, set your background to maybe a solid color(it brings out the presence of the spots more :mad: ) and just kinda act like you know about the replacement program and that your there to have it replaced.

This could always be used as a last ditch option.
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the info guys, it really helps.

I got no love from the Apple store, but I actually brought up the serial number thing first. The Genius said it should be no problem, but then after going to see a manager came back and apologized, saying they can't do anything.

I entered my serial on that German web site, and it listed the production date as Week 52. That doesn't make sense since there are 52 weeks in a year, and the PB was actually registered on December 16th!

I should actually try just taking it into a store, and perhaps not mentioning serial numbers, etc. I actually had to do this with a TiBook (its serial qualified) at one point, although I do remember them scanning the serial number from the machine.

It is worth a try taking it to a different store...fortunately I live in LA, and there a few.
 

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,586
489
Melenkurion Skyweir
madmaxmedia said:
Thanks for all the info guys, it really helps.

I got no love from the Apple store, but I actually brought up the serial number thing first. The Genius said it should be no problem, but then after going to see a manager came back and apologized, saying they can't do anything.

I entered my serial on that German web site, and it listed the production date as Week 52. That doesn't make sense since there are 52 weeks in a year, and the PB was actually registered on December 16th!

I should actually try just taking it into a store, and perhaps not mentioning serial numbers, etc. I actually had to do this with a TiBook (its serial qualified) at one point, although I do remember them scanning the serial number from the machine.

It is worth a try taking it to a different store...fortunately I live in LA, and there a few.
I don't know, maybe I'm way off, but Apple's fiscal year is from September to August. So maybe that means your PowerBook was manufactured on the last week of August?
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
2,924
32
Los Angeles, CA
Raven VII said:
I don't know, maybe I'm way off, but Apple's fiscal year is from September to August. So maybe that means your PowerBook was manufactured on the last week of August?
I thought about that, but the 15" Alu PowerBook was released in September 2003. If it was made in August, I would really imagine that the serial number would have qualified for the repair.

Thanks though, who knows maybe you're right...
 

ic1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
37
0
Max,

FWIW I checked my PB on Chipmunk (sic) just now. Apple seems to use calendar weeks in their serial numbers (order, manufacture and receipt sequence match in my case) so Week 52 would be the week up to 31 December. Doesn't jibe with being 'registered' on 16 December as you were told your PB was. Is it a BTO? Is that the day you placed your order?

Sorry, don't think I'm helping. Go with plan B and do a call-in - drop-by the way an earlier poster recommended.

Good luck. Judging by some of the posts in this forum, Apple has resolved flakier cases than yours to the customer's satisfaction.