1.25GHz PowerPC G4 Slow Web browsing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maviso5, Mar 30, 2010.

1. maviso5 macrumors regular

Title says it all really, just really slow when firing up safari, wasn't so slow a few weeks ago, not sure if the safari update killed it, or whether it is just the flashy websites killing the CPU, though the usage doesn't look too high, anyone got any other ideas what might be slowing it down, apart from those mentioned above?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. ale500 macrumors regular

A friend of mine has a 1.0 GHz G4 with 1.25 GB RAM (PowerBook) and that thing is fast and feels fast (as my mb for webbrowsing). I'm always amazed. He uses Camino though. The click-to-flash option really helps.
    Just grab Onyx as suggested and clean everything. It could also help to check your startup items to see if you have some extra and unneeded services running, you may have installed something. Check also you hard drive space, full HDs are not something OSX likes.

4. maviso5 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice, the person whos laptop it was, was complaining that web browsing was considerably slower than a few days previous (both FF and safari) the and i can only pin it down to flash

5. ale500 macrumors regular

Some flash games like the ones in facebook take loads of memory. A 512 MB machine cannot play most of the networked ones without hitting the swap constantly. :eek: