1/3 of my Macbook Pro screen is 3 vertical Bars...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biglarrygreen, May 26, 2010.

1. biglarrygreen macrumors newbie

I have had my Laptop for over 3 years now and with really no significant problems. A couple of days ago though, my laptop display got 3 vertical black/white/black bars on the right third of the screen and I am just curious if it is dying.

I am connected to an external display and it's been awhile like this, but it makes it impossible to use as a laptop anymore. CAn anybody let me know what's going on?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wouldn't be a surprise as OP likely has MBP with 8600M GT...

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

can you tell us the exact specs of your mbp, you may be able to get it replaced by apple even if its warranty has expired

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If that were the case he couldn't have had it for over 3 years as he claims. He must have either an early-2006 or a late-2006 MacBook Pro with an ATI Mobility X1600 Pro.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, you're right but only if it really is over three years old as OP claims. That's a worse thing then, 8600M GT would still be covered but AFAIK X1600 Pro doesn't have any special warranties.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If it were the graphics card, he'd have the same problem with an external display...

Sounds like the screen, to me. I've seen a Dell laptop do that, but that was because the laptop was being left in an onsite office trailer during winter. the screen going from very cold to warm on a daily basis couldn't handle it anymore.