1 30 ACD or 2 23 ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mmccaskill, Feb 13, 2008.

?

1 30 ACD or 2 23 ACDs

1. 1 30 ACD

53.3%
  2. 2 23 ACDs

46.7%
  1. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

I'm debating on which to get for my new MacPro. Which one would you choose?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I loving having a giant 30 inch Display, after using it in the Apple Store many times it is the sweetest setup.

Hell, I'd get 2 but my desk probably couldn't fit 2 of those monster displays..

3. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I'll second the dual display route. I'd love a 30 but I have found that using a dual system for video/photo editing is easier on my eyes and focus, esp for longer sessions. Nothing scientific there but it's what works for me.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd say 1 30", but that's just me. The split between monitors always bothered me, one monitor is just more organized.

5. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have two 23"s. I voted for 1 30".

If you get a 30" you could always get a second later...

If you buy a 30" and wish you had two 23"s I would be open to a trade.

7. mmccaskill thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I couldn't really buy another 30 inch. The 8800GT requires both DVIs for a 30 inch. I'm not certain if one can put in another 8800GT. But if so, then I'd have to go that in order to get another 30 inch.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'd go with the 2 23" ACD's. That's what I'm planning on getting. The beauty of having dual displays is that you can have 2 apps open full screen (1 in each screen).

I know the new feature in Leapard makes this possible with virtual desktops but it's not quite the same as having 2 desktops there in front of your eyes in my opinion.

9. mmccaskill thread starter macrumors 6502

At first I wanted 1 30 ACD, but then I thought that after I'd buy it that Apple would release new models with iSight.

If this is true then, two 23s with two iSights. Weird. Which is why I don't think they will come out with iSight in them.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

11. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I have a Dell 3007 and a Dell 2405 hooked up to my mac pro. Love the extra space of the 30, but also need an additional monitor to have windows running (for work).

12. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

One you go 30, you don't go back

The single 30 for sure.

You'll appreciate the larger vertical distance top to bottom --

I have used two 23's, two 30's and now use a 30" and a 23".

The 30 is the way to go for any sort of pallet heavy work.

Then add a second monitor for your email, web searches etc and you are set.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Once you try a 30", after you get over how big it is, everything else seems puny.

14. mmccaskill thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems more people prefer the 30 inch. I'm a software developer so most of what I do is look at Eclipse all day. I'd love it if the put iSight in it. I'll wait for a little while more.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... no. No. The 8800 GT (and the 2600, for that matter) have Dual-link DVI ports. Two of them. The 30 ACD only needs one Dual-link port. Thus, you can have two 30s on one card. The 30 doesn't need two ports, it just won't work at full resolution with a single-link port.

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'd go for the dual then. One for code, the other for testing/email/itunes/etc... Damn this setup for work is nice! You hiring? ;)

17. mmccaskill thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously? Wow! I misunderstood then. I think that settles the which one to buy issue. Thanks so much.

18. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

2 23s

For what I do, (Graphic Design) I love the two screens. Gives me the ability to two applications in full screen mode. Helps me focus on only one screen at a time if i need to. Sometimes the ADD will get a little out of control and focusing on one program in one screen is easier than two programs in one BIG screen.

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

For me, it depends on the situation.

At work, I need to keep Outlook open all the time plus there is another app I tend to work in and monitor, so I find having dual 24" monitors is effective because I can keep Outlook and that app open on the right-hand monitor and use the left one for what I am doing at the moment.

But at home, I focus on only one task at a time so while I have a 24" iMac right now, when I move to the Mac Pro it will be with a 30".

If you find you only work in one app at a time, unless that app has a slew of menus that gets into the way of viewing your content (photo manipulation, video work, illustration), then a single 30" might work better for you compared to two 23" displays.

20. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

1x30" or 2x23" ? Ha, both options are for wimps.

This is my idea of a potential setup; having your cake and eating it as well ... :D

Attached Files:

21. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

You will NOT see an iSight in an Apple 30"

They would loose the entire corporate market due to the security concerns an included iSight would pose.

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

But they have them in their laptops? Even IBM is including them in some of theirs.

Why else would Apple stop selling iSights if they didn't plan to integrate into their displays?

23. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

Ok it is official, I am jealous of your setup.

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Security concerns? Like a hacker could see some middle-aged man working at a computer?

Well anyway, I'd say a 30" purely for the additional vertical resolution.

But here's a quick pixel comparison:
    4,096,000 pixels - 1x 30"
    4,608,000 pixels - 2x 23"