1 30" Display vs 2 23" Displays

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
6,309
20
Omaha, NE, USA
Just out of curiosity, if money was of no concern, which would you prefer, 1 30" Cinema Display or Dual 23" Cinema Displays? Any particular reason why?
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
swiftaw said:
Just out of curiosity, if money was of no concern, which would you prefer, 1 30" Cinema Display or Dual 23" Cinema Displays? Any particular reason why?
Although it would be nice to have a 30" display (or two :D), I think having dual 23" displays would give you more screen real estate than a single 30" display.
 

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
988
0
Northern California
I would go for the 30 inch for sure. Two 23 inch displays seems kinda weird to me. Actually, I've never heard of anyone doing that. They either go for the 2 20 inch displays or the 30.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Well guess I'm the only one who think dual 23" is better than single 30" :(

Even though it wasn't a choice take a look at some dual 30" displays:



Now that's sweet! :D
 

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
1,205
0
Medford
I'd go for the two 23". The 30" is actually almost too big for me to use, dual 23" works far better for me than 30".

Of course, I'd still want dual 30" more than anything :D
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
zach said:
I'd go for the two 23". The 30" is actually almost too big for me to use, dual 23" works far better for me than 30".

Of course, I'd still want dual 30" more than anything :D

Hmm... So if one 30 inch screen is too big for you, wouldn't two be worse? :confused:
 

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
543
291
Adelaide, Australia
I'd take the two 23".
The 30" would be damn sweet for a little while, but I'd get ovet it, and annoyed by it having to move my entire head to see the corner of the screen (but no way in hell I would complain having it ;) )
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
When will it stop? When will we reach a screen size that is adequate? Is there a need for a screen larger than 30 inches? Will screens just keep getting bigger and bigger?
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
mad jew said:
When will it stop? When will we reach a screen size that is adequate? Is there a need for a screen larger than 30 inches? Will screens just keep getting bigger and bigger?
As long as pro video applications keep getting bigger and digital cameras get bigger sensors, yup.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
mad jew said:
When will it stop? When will we reach a screen size that is adequate? Is there a need for a screen larger than 30 inches? Will screens just keep getting bigger and bigger?
It is a bit annoying that one cannot view a full-res shot of an image captured with modern cameras, a real drag IMO however to capture full-res would take a very large monitor.

As iGary said, as long as peripherals continue to grow, the screens will too.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
zach said:
I'd go for the two 23". The 30" is actually almost too big for me to use, dual 23" works far better for me than 30".

Of course, I'd still want dual 30" more than anything :D
My friend has dual 20" (dell 2001fp) and they look quite nice side-by-side, better than another friends 24" widescreen (phillips?) monitor. I'm not sure what makes it this way, but I think dual 23s would come out better in the long run than a single 30. Money aside as you stated, if you had to move your computer somewhere temporarily, taking a single 23 with you would be much easier than the 30, plus if you have portables or you want to be an awesome friend and loan a 23 to someone with a portable when they come over, you can do it....you can't on the 30.
 

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
241
0
Santa Cruz, CA
The 30 inch screen because of its raw sexyness. And so you can say to people I have a 30 incher, how big is yours. ;) :) . Plus with 2 screens you need to have a powermac (to have the multiple outputs), but with the 30 incher you can run it with a 15 inch or 17 powerbooks. 30 incher is the way to go. :) :D Plus oh god its just sooo sexy. :)
 

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
2,294
0
Huntsville, AL
I'd take the single 30" LCD. Doing video work with SD-resolution DV, I'd love to have to have my canvas windows at full-res in Final Cut using the standard layout. :)
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
efoto said:
It is a bit annoying that one cannot view a full-res shot of an image captured with modern cameras, a real drag IMO however to capture full-res would take a very large monitor.

As iGary said, as long as peripherals continue to grow, the screens will too.
Dual 23" - 4.6Mp
Single 30" - 4.1Mp - not a huge difference eh!?

Considering even cheap digicams are now going up to 5Mp and over, it must be slightly annoying for graphic designers not to be able to view in native resolution for photos.
Hell, the Nikon D2x has a 12Mp sensor!
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
Ill take a 15'' CRT over both.

Just kidding.

I'd take the 30''. Just for the fact that you can only have the dock on one screen.
 

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
156
0
Berkshires, Mass.
I have a 30". It works great for everything I do. desktop publishing, photoshopping, video post-production... Now that I've had it for 8 months, I don't know how I could ever live without it. Oh yeah, it works great for watching DVD's while lying in bed 10 feet away...
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
Both setups are massive overkill for my needs. If I had to pick I'd take two 23-inchers. But then I'd run them on two separate computers: one in the kitchen and one in the office.
 

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
191
0
efoto said:
My friend has dual 20" (dell 2001fp) and they look quite nice side-by-side, better than another friends 24" widescreen (phillips?) monitor. I'm not sure what makes it this way, but I think dual 23s would come out better in the long run than a single 30. Money aside as you stated, if you had to move your computer somewhere temporarily, taking a single 23 with you would be much easier than the 30, plus if you have portables or you want to be an awesome friend and loan a 23 to someone with a portable when they come over, you can do it....you can't on the 30.

I totally agree w/ u...i'd take 2 23's...nah..i'd acutally take 2 20's...just so I can say I roll on dubs :D