1.33 Ghz 12" PowerBook upgrades

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SeanChandler, Dec 17, 2008.

1. SeanChandler macrumors newbie

SeanChandler

I have a 12" 1.33 Ghz PB with 768 MB RAM and a 60GB HDD (replaced twice), which I need to upgrade. OS is 10.4.11

Leopard won't install, and the error message I get suggests that Leopard does not like my 512MB RamJet RAM, which I bought and installed 3 years ago, and which has worked fine since then.

I get jpg file corruption sometimes and the occasional (3-4 times a year) "You must restart your computer" Black Screen of Death.

Other than that the PB works very well - I use it for meetings and for browsing the web and email while the GF watches home and garden remodeling shows on TV.

What I would like to use it for is image backup and Lightroom editing on location (I am a Real Estate photographer).

I was considering a 1GB RAM upgrade from OWC and a fast (7200 rpm) internal HDD - also from OWC.

Does anyone have experience with OWC RAM and Leopard?

Is anyone using LR on a 12" PB?

Should I give (lend) the PB to me mum, who has no computer at present, and buy a shiny new MBP? (Budget notwithstanding - just bought a brand new Nikon D700 and 14-24 zoom)

Thanks for any info

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I haven't used OWC RAM, but I did install a stick of Kingston RAM from CompUSA before they closed. I've been running for a year with it and no problems with Leopard. I will say that OWC is very reputable in Mac community for their hardware and service so their RAM should work without problems.

Concerning Lightroom: I installed the demo last year and the performance was a little sluggish. It was usable but you had to set there and wait a second for the filters and adjustments to get applied. It does run a little faster then Aperture though. For reference, I was using jpegs and RAW images from my Canon PowerShot A630.

I would say that if you can afford it then upgrade to a MacBook. I consider the 2.4GHz model to be a worthy replacement to the 12" PowerBook. With that processor and plenty of RAM you will get the same performance results as a MBP using LR and both will be multitudes faster then the PowerBook.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Doesn't have to be new. I think the "Blackbook" had a 2.4 Core 2 Duo and use the savings to buy an extra battery.

4. jwt macrumors 6502

I have Lightroom on a 12" Powerbook (1.5 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM). 3 MP jpegs are OK to deal with, but 10 MP RAW images are horribly sluggish. Each time I go from grid to loop view, it says "working" for maybe 10 seconds, and I can't do anything but wait. If I did photography professionally and had to use this system, I'd kill myself. I wouldn't really, but I'd waste a lot of time and thus money waiting around. Like you, I use my Powerbook for on location editing and back-up. BTW, the screen isn't bright enough to do editing outdoors.