1.5 years tbMBP 15'' 2016 review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by overlof, Apr 14, 2018.

?

Do you want to have possibility to buy non touchbar high performance mbp 15''?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. overlof macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I want to share my pluses and minuses review.
    So I bought tbMBP 15'' 2016 Radeon Pro 450 512 Gb SSD version as it appeared at sale.
    Previously I was using macbook air 2013 128 gb SSD 8 gb RAM version for 3.5 years.
    I use notebook for my studies, programming and reverse engineering (in Windows).
    As time passed I saw a lot of disadvantages of my purchase.
    At first Apple totally ****ed up with claimed battery life of my notebook.
    When I was at Air I could program and web serf all the day(8-11 hours). My Pro works from 5 to 6 hours the same scenario. Apple claimed 10 hours.
    I had crazy UI lags in internal graphic mode till summer 2017 at actions like scrolling pdf files, web site scrolling and other actions(mission control, etc.). My investiogations and thoughts sum up - Intel didn't create CPU with iGPU like Iris Pro like it had i7 family from 2013-2015. The performance of new gen graphics too low for display resolution. I spent a lot of money on my notebook and had performance in usual actions much worse then previously had with air. Even 300 bucks win trashbooks perform better. At summer the update made situation much, much better, but I see lags even now.
    As time passed burn marks appeared in two screen marks...
    I don't understand the USB-C cable made of cheapest plastic(too rigid).
    I don't understand why doesnt Apple logo lights.
    My macOS and some apps freezes from time to time just like Windows. I had no such problems at Air.
    Keyboard is too loud for me to type during lectures)))
    I don't like that keys stroke. It is too short.

I like design, screen quality for my eyes, weight and sound.

I could forgive every ****ing point of my review but touchbar.... It kills my neurons.
    Imagine that you have a beautiful fit girlfriend you love with all strength of your soul. You like having sex with her without condom. But then situation dramatically changed. After the change you lose your love. Instead of her somebody tells you have to be in sex with fat, stupid, NOT-NOT beautiful woman you dont like at all.
    I see the situation at this perspective.
    I constantly have to work with ESC and FUNC keys to save my time (especially at my Windows software while dissassembling: millions of actions the couldn't be done without fn keys ( I don't count several times clicks in UI to perform one action as possible scenario)).
    So now I have to:
    -IF I want to perform fn key action
    --Change look from screen to touchbar(I cant find presicely the FX key without error if I won't look at keyboard)
    ---- IF touchbar isn't lighting I should perform one click to turn it on
    -------find key
    ----------touch it
    --------------while having no tactile response I should hope the action has performed
    ------------------change look from touchbar to screen: IS ****ING ONE ACTION from millions of actions I do during my workflow was done or no. If no.... I should repeat.

ESC key often misclicked while working in VIM.

Need for changing the look and having no tactile response is "killer feature" of this crap.
    Is there any advantage of touchbar?
    Why I used to eat the ****?

I can't use Windows but using macOS with touchbar for me amounts to it.

This world became crazy because some guys(marketing guys) sell you honey with **** at great amount of money. You used to eat honey, without it you will die(it's your only food). But you ask them please sell me honey without the **** at double price. They tell you: it's impossible(non-tb 15'' mbp analogy).

This purchase made me watch the world at another angle. Front-wheels BMWs, touchbar macbooks and a lot of different things that are ****, but people eat it because it is fashionable.

I lost 1/2 price of the machine.
    I want to change it. But there is no option for me at the market.
    It drives me crazy and I want to literally kill every crazy man that tells me that touchbar option is innovation.

I wrote here because I hope some guy from Apple will read it and change it(I know
    probability theory).

While buying it I was afraid about touchbar, but choosing between old and new gear I chose new, it was my error.

P.S. I live in Russia and I paid 190 000 rubles for it. Avg salary here is 30 000 rubles (300 bucks))))))
    P.S. 2 With respect to you guys, this post is my emotional outlet.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I stopped reading here... After your rigid cable and short strokes earlier, I feel you require a different kind of outlet.

3. 2IS macrumors 68030

You need to hire an editor. I got a headache just looking at how you laid out this review. Didn’t even bother reading. The few parts I skimmed read like a bad google translate attempt.

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Your Russian's good then? Not all speak English as a first language, a point worth noting...

Q-6

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

A point I considered in my very first sentence.

6. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

Best post I’ve seen all day. Many laughs. I actually really like the touch bar. Just yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that I always have my laptop closed and use three monitors. Want more time to use the touch bar lol.

7. icymountain macrumors 6502

As someone who also does a lot of development (very different tools than you though), I share the conclusion that the touchbar is just a pain. Like you, I actually needed the keys that were replaced with a touch screen, I tend to mistype as I get no physical feedback, and am very much used to real *key*boards. And it never made my life simpler for this activity.

As a side note, you say there is no machine on the market that would plainly satisfy you, but how about a good old 15" MPBr, with no TB ? The Apple store still has them new, and a refurb may be an option too.

8. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

As a mostly Windows oriented developer I can only imagine irritation. F-keys are commonly used in various development programs.

If I had to buy MacBook now, I'd go 13" nTB or even better wait for Apple to realize TB was a mistake (probably this year). I only wonder why they didn't add vibration as a feedback for pressing something on TB and why ESC key is offset from left.

9. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I don’t have any love lost for the Touchbar but you can make it just the default keys if you want. And you can hit control or command or whatever the key is and they’ll flip to a different set. It doesn’t get in my way and probably delights some users. I do like Touch ID though.