1.5TB caviar black - any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by galstaph, Jul 25, 2010.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I'm thinking of picking up a shiny new 1.5TB WD caviar black from newegg to replace my stock 640gb system drive, (which will then become my dedicated windows drive, freeing up the partition of windows 7 evilness on my other 1.5tb 5400rpm storage drive mawahahahaha), about $110 bucks 5 year warranty 64mb cache and 7200 rpm all sound good but the reviews appear to indicate some bad drives floating out there (high temp, DOA and loudness).
    Anybody here have one of these and can share your experience would be appreciated..:)

2. strausd macrumors 68030

I've been thinking about making a software RAID 0 with two 1TB Caviar Blacks. Then I thought about two 1.5 TB but didn't really find anything about them. I personally have had good luck with Western Digital and with a 5 year warranty you should be good, but I have no first hand experience with this specific drive.

Edit: Also just noticed that newegg is the only place that sells it, Amazon doesn't even have it, thats weird.

3. mism macrumors member

4. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Got one for backup and storage, and I love it. It'll be even better as an internal drive.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1.5TB has been VERY troublesome capacity. Seagate Barracudas had several issues, Caviar Greens had issues.. I can't recommend it due the issues, grab the 2TB instead, it's little more but haven't heard any issues with it.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

That sucks. I was really looking forward to having a 3TB RAID 0. The 2TB is just a little much for what I want to do, but the 1.5TB seems good. With a 5 year warranty and consistant backups, I may still go for it to see what happens.