1.5TB on MacPro 08

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Feb 25, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The drive is worthless. Don't buy it. Wait several months for the 2TB drives to have some review time, and if they're good, get them.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Apple based the maximum capacity on the largest drives commercially available at the time. You can easily have up to 8TB internal storage with the current 2TB drives.

But like Tallest Skill said, wait a little bit - though the 2TB drive I've seen is getting far better reviews compared to the 1.5TB.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

so 1TB is good, 2TB is good, 1.5tb Is not good, so if I need right now is better buy 1tb right? a seagate 1tb is good?

thanks

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Seagate 1TB and WD 1TB are both fine. Trust me, I have both and haven't had any problems.

(Now I'm going to go check to see if a hard drive failed when I jinx myself by posting this)

7. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool I go for a seagate 1tb...

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Oh, don't forget to watch out for WD's "green power" drives. They only spin at 5400 rpm or less, so don't expect much speed with them.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just be aware there have been at least a couple of threads recently with one version of the Seagate 1Tb with firmware problems in addition to the noted problems with their 1.5Tb drives. Quite a few references to the Seagate 1Tb problems can be found in this thread for example:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=649304

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My understanding is there is a firmware fix for these drives and that all new drives already have the new firmware.
    I have 4x Seagate 7200.11 1TB and have yet to have a problem with any. All drives were bought long before the update.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 1.5TB Seagate drives had buggy firmware, so I wouldn't get them; the 2TB drives are really expensive and 1TB is just old, so I would wait until the 2TB drives drop in the price and then buy 4 of them. :D

12. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Yeah, not sure why you guys are bashing the 1.5's to this day...The firmware issues have been fixed, no? The hardware was always fine.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a 1TB green drive that was "bad" out of the box. My Mac Pro can see it fine and write to it always after a reboot, but once the computer sleeps, the drive is gone till the next reboot and so on.

14. gelid macrumors member

I have two Seagate 1.5TB drives with firmware version CC1H and have no problems. Both are formatted as a single volume with journaling turned on. As far as I have heard, the CC1H and higher as supposed to be free of both known bugs (stuttering/delayed I/O and dead drive due to the log overflow).

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

I've also got a 1.5TB, mine came with the CC1G firmware, which at least according to Seagate is error free. I've not had any of the issues seen in the earlier ones either.

17. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i have 3 1.5tbs running in my 2008 MacPro, they seem to zip along just fine, the only problem i have is filling them all up :p
    the only reason why i got them was to test them out and at 82$ a pop wasnt toomuch of an inconvenience

ive stress tested them to no end for the past month before throwing them in my main day to day usage.
    not a single hiccup, and theyre the quietest seagate drives ive owned.

while im not 100% recommending them, i do prefer western digital drives over other manufactures ...i think youd be best with some 1tb western digital caviar blacks and wait till prices drop to pick up any larger sized drives.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fixed? No. I applied the update to mine... twice. It fixed the drive neither time.

19. rylin macrumors 6502

The greens are great, and you won't find any better performing 5405RPM drives.
    They're also very quiet, and give off minimal heat.
    Some of the best drives to put in a RAID.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

As in RE2-GP's?

21. gelid macrumors member

I like WD drives as well, but I did have a 1TB Black give SMART warnings, which forced me to replace it with a 1.5TB Seagate. The 1TB Black was sitting in Bay 4 (rearmost) and seemed to be getting quite hot, which may have caused the SMART warnings. (All four bays are being used.) I had the 1TB Black in the rear bay, because when it was in bay 2, it was causing the whole MacPro case to hum. After replacing it with the 1.5TB Seagate, I also installed a ThermalTake TMG SL1 dual-slot cooler in the top two PCI Express slots to try to keep the temps down in the rear bay.