1.5TB ssd imac 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dezzy443000gto, Feb 5, 2015.

1. dezzy443000gto macrumors newbie

I am after some advice please people , i have owned my iMac 5k since launch but the upgrade bug persists. So please let me begin , I ordered a top/high spec model due to great university savings . My question is this i have opened my iMac and replaced the fusion drive setup with my 512gb ssd from my late 2013 mbpr , and also the 3tb mechanical hdd with a crucial m500 960gb ssd . I have got everything working great with Yosemite on the main 512gb pcie ssd and windows on the 960gb ssd ! but my problem is this , i keep reading trim will not work with a apple computer unless the drive is generic , well both my drives are showing trim is enabled , i hope my thinking is correct and windows via bootcamp is taking care of the crucial drive and OSx is looking after the pcie drive . So my question is simple have i got trim enabled on both my drives with my current setup.

2. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

You are either misreading or misunderstanding.

Trim only works (out of the box) on Mac OSX Yosemite (not "with a apple computer", just the OS) if the SSD is supplied by Apple. You can modify Mac OSX with Trim Enabler software if you are using a non-Apple SSD.

If you're truly using the Apple-supplied SSD only on OSX, you're fine.

if you're using your aftermarket SSD on Windows only, you're fine.

If you deactivate trim and never use it, you'll probably be fine.

Don't get too worked up about it.

3. dezzy443000gto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you that makes sense , That was really the answer i wanted , the problem was after so much searching all i could find was (aftermarket solid state drives will not support trim in Yosemite) . Thank you