1.6/1.8GHz iMac G5 or PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mzs.112000, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Which one is faster?
    Which one is better for internet browsing.
    In general, as a MAIN machine what would be the best option.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The G5 in general is more capable provided that you keep the comparisons fair. A single low end G5 vs a high end dual G4 would not be a fair comparison. That being said, in single CPU models, the iMac would be the better machine due to the faster CPU.

Keep in mind that iMac G5s had numerous logic board and PSU capacitor issues. The MDD G4s are notorious for PSU problems. I would personally look out for a solid dual CPU or dual core PowerMac G5. When running the latest batch of eyoungren's tweaks and TenFourFox 31.8.0, they certainly power through the web.

3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Intel, as much as us PPC fans hate to admit. Early Core 2 Duo Macs have dropped in price from what they used to be.

Comparing a G5 to a G4, a high-end dual MDD would beat a low-end single G5. Otherwise, the G5 is the obvious choice, and also uses a SATA hard drive/faster RAM.

5. Dronecatcher, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I had 1.8 20" and 1.9 iSight 17" G5 iMacs and compared to the dual 1.25 MDD I had, the 1.8 was just in front but the the 1.9 was way ahead. The G4 was better for the graphics work I was doing because the software used both processors but for general duties the G5s win.
    Also consider for Leopard, a Core Image graphics card would be an extra on the G4, whereas the G5 are compatible already.
    Don't forget there's 4 variants of 1.6/1.8 G5 iMacs - the 1.8 ALS is a significant leap from the first 1.6
    Certainly in the UK, some early Intel iMacs can be had cheaper than G5s

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

How many processors are on the G4 and at what clock speed? A dual G4 will outperform a single processor iMac G5 if the G4 has a decent/high clock speed. Megahertz (or rather Gigahertz) doesn't matter, except for gaming. Rather, performance matters.

With that being said, redheeler is right. The early Intel Core Macs have utterly crashed price-wise. If you're looking for performance, I'd try to grab one of those first. Then a G5 cheese grater tower. Then a G4 tower. Then anything else.

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

These tests match up with my experience:

http://barefeats.com/imacg5.html

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

OS X is very much built to take advantage of dual CPU/core setups. Its been a long time since I've spent any real time on a single CPU G5, but I can say that dual 1.25 and 1.42 MDD G4s are quite pleasant to use in my opinion. I'd have to choose either of those setups vs a single 1.6 and probably 1.8 G5.

As redheeler said earlier, you really should go Intel at this point. The cost difference between a good G4 and a 06-07 Intel system is virtually non-existent. Any given day a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo setup is selling cheaper than a G4 or G5 machine. Keep an eye out, and you'll find a really good deal on one. No reason at all you can't pick up one of these well under $100.