1.66 CD Mini to 2.0 C2D Mini worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thedudeAbides, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. thedudeAbides macrumors member

    May 3, 2007
    I have a 1.66 Core Duo Mini (superdrive) in which i upgraded the Ram to 2 GB and harddrive to 320 GB (the old hard drive crashed).

    Is it worth getting the new mini ($599 model) with the 9400m? Or should i just wait out the mini i have for another year or so until it is way behind the times?

    I figure the $605 (student discount +tax) will be offset by selling my mini (maybe $400). So is the $200 upgrade worth it? i will probably upgrade the RAM myself to 4 GB for ~$68.

    PS - I plan to just do a swap out one evening while the wife is asleep. i don't think she will know.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    Keep waiting unless you're really itching to play some 3D games on a Mac mini.
  3. techound1 macrumors 68000


    Mar 3, 2006
    Thank god I'm not the only one that does this. :eek::D:D

    Here's something else to consider - wait until the new minis hit the refurb store (2-3 months). You'll save $50-$100 on the new mini and still be able to get most of the $400 on the old (you'll save on the new more than you'll lose on the old).

    Alternatively, wait for another round of live.com cashbacks or ebay/paypal 8% coupons and get a sealed one off ebay for cheaper.
  4. thedudeAbides thread starter macrumors member

    May 3, 2007
    probably just wait then

    thanks for the replies. it looks like i'll just wait then.

    i do play most of my games on my laptop (8600gt 256 mb) and was thinking the new 9400m might be better. but i don't think that it will be any better than my dedicated card.

    And yeah, as long as it looks the same and has the same songs in itunes i don't think my wife would know. although i seem to get caught more often than not...

Share This Page