1.67 GHz Powerbook Doesn't Recognize New RAM?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DeusExMachina, Oct 9, 2008.

1. DeusExMachina macrumors newbie

As the title says, I've got a 15" 1.67 GHz Powerbook. I ordered a new RAM card off OWC a while ago, and just got around to installing it now. The card specifications are as follows (taken from the order invoice):

SO-DIMM 1.0GB Samsung Factory PC2700 DDR 333MHz 200 Pin SO-DIMM Module M470L2923BN0-CB3 S/N: 4150092

I opened the panel in the middle of the computer's underside, aligned and slid the card into the top slot, then pushed it down and closed the computer back up. I turned the computer on a few minutes ago, only to see that it was still only recognizing 512 mb RAM. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, or what the deal is? On the Apple website, it lists a procedure for installing Powerbook RAM that involves removing the keyboard, which I did not do, because I don't think that applies to my model. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I think the later PBs were 2700 sticks so you should be good on the speed. I also don't recall that they had to be in matched pairs (but that's back in the deep, dark recesses). Go to ifixit.com and look at the instruction manual for your model.

If, after following instructions carefully it's still not recognizing it, you may have a bad stick of RAM.

3. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

There was an issue with those PowerBooks about the lower ram slot failing… You mention it is the top ram slot, could be possibly be related.

Try swapping the 512 MB module already in there into the other slot and see what happens. If it works then you can be sure it's not a slot issue.