Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Is there a big difference? I really don't think I can spring for the additional 260 megahertz, but I don't want to regret it down the road (I'm getting the SSD by the way, so it will be fast in that regard).

I do next to no processor intensive stuff. iMac for that. No encoding or anything, just internet, YouTube, Transmission, Pages, etc. will 1.6GHz suffice?

Thanks guys. And like I said, I'll get the SSD, so it will be fast in that regard at least, will it make up for it? People were saying the 400MHz bump on the MB wasn't worth $300, so I'm curious if it will be worth it on the MBA, but I'm doubtful.

Thanks!!!!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Is there a big difference? I really don't think I can spring for the additional 260 megahertz, but I don't want to regret it down the road (I'm getting the SSD by the way, so it will be fast in that regard).

I do next to no processor intensive stuff. iMac for that. No encoding or anything, just internet, YouTube, Transmission, Pages, etc. will 1.6GHz suffice?

Thanks guys. And like I said, I'll get the SSD, so it will be fast in that regard at least, will it make up for it? People were saying the 400MHz bump on the MB wasn't worth $300, so I'm curious if it will be worth it on the MBA, but I'm doubtful.

Thanks!!!!

In the US, it's only $200 for the 1.86 GHz upgrade. If you are going to spend that much money and buy the SSD, it's definitely a must. It may not much make difference now, and maybe never in the future, but the price is so little compared to the total cost, like 7%.

I say go for it if you can afford it. If not, definitely the SSD will make your rev B MBA feel like your fastest Mac ever... regardless of the CPU.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I really only got the 1.8 because it was much faster to order the stock config and I didnt want to wait longer for a custom order machine.

I dont think it will make much difference in use, the processor will be running at reduced speed when possible anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.