1.79 frame issue with FCP X and YouTube

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Zwhaler, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I want to check if other users have this problem. I found something like a bug whenever I upload a .mov file compressed from a FCP X project. The video plays back on YouTube but the audio sync is off by exactly 1.79 frames. The reason why I know this is if I import the ProRes 422 / ProRes 422 HQ file back into FCP X, detach audio, trim the beginning by 1.79 frames, and then move it back by that amount and then re export, re compress, and re upload to YouTube then the audio is perfectly in sync.

When I import a finished video in ProRes 422 / ProRes 422 HQ format back into FCP X and detach audio, when I trim the beginning of the audio finely, it will go all the way up to 1.79 frames and then jump to 2.00. I don't know why it does this, only that it WILL mess up the audio sync if I upload directly to YouTube before re importing , trimming to 1.79, moving it back, and then uploading THAT video. Can anyone else confirm? I'm using FCP X 10.0.4 , 10.6.8, and I have some plugins on FCP X such as FX Factory, DV Shade, and some 3rd party particle generators. Before about February of this year this wasn't an issue at all.

2. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I wanted to follow up with this issue... I did a pretty comprehensive test with a timecode display and audio that was synced up to specific frames, and it seems that the audio can be up to 3 frames off when uploaded to youtube. When I upload a perfectly synced clip, the audio is definitely thrown off. When I offset by 3 frames it lines up ... 1.79 frames or 2 frames gets it very close but with the timecode display I now believe it is 3 frames off. I can't find anyone discussing this topic and am wondering if its just me. Using 10.0.5 on 10.6.8 ... YouTube audio ALWAYS doesn't sync properly, I know it's YouTube and not my video because Vimeo syncs perfectly. Happy syncing!