Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,465
14,157
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A firmware update for the single-processor 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 is now available for download.

Firmware for Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later

Firmware for Mac OS X 10.3.9

This Power Mac G5 System Firmware Update is only for the 1.8 GHz, (600 MHz bus), single-processor Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) computer. This update improves the reliability of your Power Mac G5, especially after it has been inactive for two hours.

Detail on problems addressed:

* The computer may freeze when performing certain video-intensive tasks for extended periods of time, such as a full screen slideshows, QuickTime playback, or some games.

* The optical drive may not eject when you've been using the computer for about two hours.

* Internet Connect may become unresponsive when you've been using the computer for about two hours.

* Attached displays may not wake up properly after the computer, running Mac OS X 10.4, has been sleeping for an extended period of time. The computer seems to wake up, but the display doesn't.

Note that, as of the time of this posting, Apple's detail page has a bad link for the Mac OS 10.4.3 download. Use the link above instead.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,580
4
Randy's House
I guess this addresses all the problems some single-proc 1.8 owners bitched about for so long. Watch it blow a bunch of them up.
 
Comment

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
umm didn't they already release this firmware update a few months ago?

I remember because I installed it and my 1.8 G5 has been flawless ever since.
 
Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,639
1,689
Well the November 2005 update was for Panther users. The one that came out yesterday is for Tiger users.
 
Comment

maverick13

macrumors member
May 26, 2004
41
0
WildCowboy said:
Well the November 2005 update was for Panther users. The one that came out yesterday is for Tiger users.

This is incorrect. I installed this firmware update on my single 1.8GHz G5 (running Tiger!) on November. This firmware update addressed ALL the problems I had with the single G5.

Edit: Hmm it seems this is a new update, version 1.1
 
Comment

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
487
2
Europe (EU)
dornoforpyros said:
umm didn't they already release this firmware update a few months ago?

I remember because I installed it and my 1.8 G5 has been flawless ever since.

Exactly.
Fixes the same issues. Strange.
 
Comment

maverick13

macrumors member
May 26, 2004
41
0
Doraemon said:
Exactly.
Fixes the same issues. Strange.

Has anyone tried applying this update that had already applied the previous one?

I am at work now so I haven't tried it yet.
 
Comment

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
487
2
Europe (EU)
Yes. I just tried to install it.

It'll tell you that your computer is up to date.

Obviously, this patch is only for people who haven't patched their G5 last year. Perhaps something changed with 10.4.3 (the last updater also worked under Tiger), requiring Apple to update the updater.
 
Comment

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Well confusion aside over weather this is just a panther/tiger update either way for owners of this 1.8 g5 can attest this fixes a number of problems and turns the box into a very useable machine.
 
Comment

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,522
8
Behind the lens
how did they make the SP 1.8 crap, a Rev B if I recall..

and my DP 1.8 Rev A is fine?

something get thrown in or taken out in the process?

sounds like some sort of toaster timer thing, 2hrs?

:eek:
 
Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
2,004
0
London, UK
Sdashiki said:
how did they make the SP 1.8 crap, a Rev B if I recall..

and my DP 1.8 Rev A is fine?

something get thrown in or taken out in the process?

sounds like some sort of toaster timer thing, 2hrs?

:eek:
I should really look this up but, this revision of G5's that has just been updated is the same as my Dual-2GHz... I think that would be Rev. C - if the newest ones are Rev. D.

I've always felt like mine needs some firmware updating though.... something's not quite right with it sometimes...

Oh, and to answer your question (to the best of my ability) - my computer only has 4 RAM slots in it instead of the usual 8, I don't know why. It is annoying!!
 
Comment

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,522
8
Behind the lens
hob said:
Oh, and to answer your question (to the best of my ability) - my computer only has 4 RAM slots in it instead of the usual 8, I don't know why. It is annoying!!

because you bought the cheaper model.

or the later model

same thing though.
 
Comment

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
154
0
Sdashiki said:
how did they make the SP 1.8 crap, a Rev B if I recall..

and my DP 1.8 Rev A is fine?


:eek:

It seems to me that they also reduced the FSB on the late 2004 1.8 G5.

My late 2004 1.8 G5 was sucking hard for the year I owned it. It wouldn't come out of sleep, it routinely locked up when exiting COD, etc. After the November 2005 patch it's been a non-stop champ (like it should have been out of the box).

I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade again if it's working correctly now. The last security update may have put some hiccups in my Safari. It kept stalling on the third or fourth link I'd click on after loading Safari (and MSIExploder later). After a restart and permissions repair job it did it once more and then behaved since then. Basically, what I'm getting at is that I'd rather leave well enough alone rather than fix something that ain't broken. ;)
 
Comment

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
KREX725 said:
It seems to me that they also reduced the FSB on the late 2004 1.8 G5.

My late 2004 1.8 G5 was sucking hard for the year I owned it. It wouldn't come out of sleep, it routinely locked up when exiting COD, etc. After the November 2005 patch it's been a non-stop champ (like it should have been out of the box).

I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade again if it's working correctly now. The last security update may have put some hiccups in my Safari. It kept stalling on the third or fourth link I'd click on after loading Safari (and MSIExploder later). After a restart and permissions repair job it did it once more and then behaved since then. Basically, what I'm getting at is that I'd rather leave well enough alone rather than fix something that ain't broken. ;)


Yup same story with mine! This update does wonders.

Although thruthfully had I known about the reduced bus speed & such over the original singe processor G5's I probably would have just laid down the cash for a duel. It's rather painfull to constantly here about your mac being described as "crippled" even though I dropped a nice chunk of change on it.
 
Comment

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
239
21
New York City
I have a dual 2ghz machine who's optical drive doesnt' eject after comp is on for extended amount of time. only a full shut down (not a restart) fixes this.
 
Comment

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
193
0
Does anyone here have a problem with this update being erased when your computer gets unplugged??? :confused:



I am experiencing a problem where whenever I unplug my Mac, I have to re-install this patch (or my system will freeze after 2 hours)!!
 
Comment

jinny1

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
53
0
Should I install this update?

Here are my spec's
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2

I have a 900 mhz bus speed, but have had a history of problems with the computer waking from sleep or starting up if the power has gone out. It will power on, but seem to go directly to sleep mode. 5 to 6 restarts usually gets it going, but I bought a battery backup and have just left it running to avoid the scare of a machine that won't wake up.
When I took it in under warranty, they told me if it happened again to unplug it and plug it back in again. This worked once, but never again.
 
Comment

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
193
0
jinny1 said:
Here are my spec's
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2

I have a 900 mhz bus speed, but have had a history of problems with the computer waking from sleep or starting up if the power has gone out. It will power on, but seem to go directly to sleep mode. 5 to 6 restarts usually gets it going, but I bought a battery backup and have just left it running to avoid the scare of a machine that won't wake up.
When I took it in under warranty, they told me if it happened again to unplug it and plug it back in again. This worked once, but never again.


No.

This update is for the SP 1.8 G5 with the 600 MHz bus speed.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.