Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuz10n

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Charlottesville, VA
Hey guys,

I found a MacBook Air Rev. A 1.6GHz/4200rpm 80GB for 1299 at bestbuy, brand new, factory sealed. One could argue that I'm OCD, and I just can't stand the sluggishness of the eye candy in Leopard and cover flow chopiness (it isn't that bad really, but it just irks me.) And yes, I've enabled QuartzGL, and no I can't stand the tearing that occurs when beamsync is disabled.

So, since it's still 14 days within the purchase, Monday I'm going to go drive to Best Buy, get the Rev. B 1.6GHz/4200rpm 120GB and pay the damn restocking fee.

I'm been looking at some benchmarks of the SSD performance in MBA rev. B, and it's amazing. I've searched the forums looking for anyone that's found an SSD 1.8" SATA 128GB that fits/works in the MBA, and haven't found much. (If I'm just being blind, please someone slap me.)

Does anyone know of a good, hopefully inexpensive, 128GB SSD that will fit and work in the MBA Rev. B? I'm down with cracking the case open and replacing it, I just want to be completely sure I order the right drive with the correct height and interface.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

abie915

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
I can't point to you to any particular drive, but can tell you the new Macbook Air uses a micro SATA interface. I wanted to use an Intel X-18M (the 1.8" counterpart to the X-25) in the Air, but that drive uses a regular SATA interface.

I ultimately ended up buying the base MacBook Pro, and installing an Intel X-25M in it.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I can't point to you to any particular drive, but can tell you the new Macbook Air uses a micro SATA interface. I wanted to use an Intel X-18M (the 1.8" counterpart to the X-25) in the Air, but that drive uses a regular SATA interface.

The Rev B MacBook Air uses a SATA LIF interface, which is not common. There is a forum thread where a user modified a standard SATA 1.8" drive with some soldering to make it work with the ribbon cable.

fuz10n

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Charlottesville, VA
The Rev B MacBook Air uses a SATA LIF interface, which is not common. There is a forum thread where a user modified a standard SATA 1.8" drive with some soldering to make it work with the ribbon cable.

You'd think it would be pretty easy to produce a small adapter that would do this. Not enough of us power-hungry geeks out there to make this profitable though, i suppose.

I do know that the early x-fi sound cards (mine...) didn't have ac97 front-bay connector pins on them, and you can order converters out there that makes it possible. Who knows, maybe some day.

Anyways, thanks for clarifying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.