1/8" > XLR lead?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wowser, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. wowser macrumors 6502a


    Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    Does anyone know if I can get a (preferably very shory) cable that has a 1/8" 'line-in' type plug on one end, and a male XLR connector on the other? Thanks - hjaving to use an adapter means i have this 5 inch long extension thing coming out of my eMac's line-in :rolleyes: Edit - as the cable is going from a pre-amp into the computer, is it better to use a 1/4" connector at the pre-amp stage, instead of an XLR one?
  2. fwhh macrumors regular

    Aug 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    This depends on "what you want to do with it".
    If you talk about the LineIn of your mac, you will need a cable on the one side with a stereo (those 1/8" Plug with a little metal ring at the tip (like on your headphones)) 1/8" Plug, on the other side: for stereo 2 XLRm connectors, for mono 1 XLRm. Be aware that XLR-Plugs use "balanced"-signals and your LineIn at the mac is "unbalanced". This requires you to short the XLR-Pins 1+3 (for standard equipment). If you want to make a cable of your own, solder the pins 1+3 to the "ground" pin of the 1/8", pin 2 to "ring" and "tip" for a mono-cable.
    You can also go to a music-store or a sound-and-light-rental company. They can shurely help you.

Share This Page