1.83 iMac acting strange sporadically

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac2o, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mac2o Guest

It seems that my computer is choosing when to present this problem at random times. If surfing the internet, it sometimes chooses not to render any of the page content, see first image. Sometimes, it chooses to only display images after I roll my mouse across the screen. Sometimes, it chooses only to display the previous tab's content, other times it renders the font from the previous tab.

What part of my computer is going bad? It's hard to pinpoint, but this time I got some screenshots. Guess it is time to upgrade or go Ubuntu.

Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

2. apedance macrumors member

It seems that your computer really has a problem.
    It forget to upload the images. or you did ;)

How about giving a little bit of info about your Mac.

iMac? - what is a 1.83 iMac?
    OS?
    Browser?

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Chances are that it's this iMac. Aside from education-only models, this was the only 1.83GHz iMac produced :)

OP, given that your iMac is a minimum of seven years old at this point, it may very well be time for an upgrade. If you aren't keen on that, I would try a reinstall of OS X first. Back up your stuff, reinstall, and see if that solves your issues. If it doesn't, your GPU may be finally giving up the ghost, and it may be time to start looking for a new computer to replace your well-aged iMac.

4. mac2o thread starter Guest

Strange Acting Imac

Yes, this is an older imac. It does need to be replaced, just wondering what was wrong with my mac.

And I did try to upload the images, but I think the pics were too big to add to the post.
    Thanks.

Now if Apple would just update the mac mini I might consider replacing my mac with that.