1.83ghz iMac cd to 3.06ghz iMac c2d - Major Difference??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psound, Apr 26, 2010.

1. psound macrumors member

Hello,

Looking at grabbing a new lower model iMac. I use mine for audio and I can't use as many plugins as I would like.

Would a 21.5" 3.06ghz be a major improvement from my 1st gen intel iMac 1.83ghz?

Ideally, I'd like to hold out for the i5/i7 processors to be put in the smaller iMacs but that obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon and paying extra for a 27" screen is unnecessary.

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I noticed a huge difference when I went from a core duo to a c2d laptop. I think you will notice a big increase in performance.

3. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Funnily enough, my friend has your current computer, and I have the one you're thinking of. I have the very base model with Nvidia graphics, and it really, really blows his away. His seems to chug at most medium-heavy tasks. Whereas the 3.06ghz dual core in this simply flies. I love Core 2 Duo, and the processor in this is one of the best of the line. Not to mention that it's faster than the fastest you could get in the last generation iMacs. Same ghz, but newer tech.

4. Paulius macrumors newbie

Paulius

Yes, major improvements. Your current iMac's processor isn't even Conroe-based. Already the second generation iMac, which came right after yours, would give you lots of improvements.

If anything, the new iMac allows you to easily add gratuitous amounts of memory. That should help you if you're processing audio files, as RAM is used for caching.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I noticed a fairly large performance improvement going from a 20" Core Duo 2.0 Ghz to a 20" Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz. There are quite a few other improvements in addition to the faster clock speed.

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I had both a 1.6GHz core duo mini and a 20" 2.0GHz core duo iMac. then I went to the 21.5" 3.06c2d iMac with hd4670 gpu and the diference was phenomenal in handbrake and garage band and the fact that it comes with double the ram I could fit on the old iMac as standard is a bonus. My handbrake rips went from 40-60 fps (1024x576 (PAL max res) mpeg4 2500 Kbps and aac audio) to arround 280 fps with the same settings on the new one and not 1ce has GarageBand freeked out and told me to disable tracks because my computers to slow with midi keybard and guitar and loops all going at once. My dad moved to the base current iMac from a PowerBook g4 1.33GHz and was even more blown away with the difrenfe than I was

7. psound thread starter macrumors member