1.86 MBA vs the 2.4MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mattnxtc, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mattnxtc macrumors member

How does the second generation 1.86 MBA compare to the 2.4 MBP?

I know from looking at presumably the first generation MBA that it has a far better screen then the MBP.

My usage will be mostly for internet, keeping statistics, and playing online poker. I would probably end up running VM Fushion to run some poker applications but that is about it. I have a desk top with a 500 gig HDD so I am not to worried about the Hard drive size. I would probably have it sitting on my lap some since I will have wireless internet. I also do not need extreme battery life as I would probably be near a plug a lot.

I have kind of ruled out the MB due to the washed out screen, and I can upgrade the bottom MBA to the 1.86 chip for cheaper due to a company discount.

So given my usage, what will give me the most bang for my buck.

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I find it funny that the Air is kind've in the middle. It's not a very good laptop in terms of specs and stuff but it IS a fancy NetBook. :)

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I have a feeling that unless you fit perfectly into the MBA niche you'd be disappointed if you got one. I see that niche as someone using it as a secondary machine, on the road for short, but important periods of time, need small size but not power, not too many peripherals.

I know 3 guys who got MBAs. I envied them for weeks. Then one ditched it for a more powerful machine because it choked on filters run on larger photoshop files. One (overreacted and) ditched it after he had to copy a 3 gig file from a usb thumb drive to an external hard drive, only to realize the hard drive was one of those 2 usb plug deals. The third is apparently made of money and barely uses the thing in favor of his iMac.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

if you plan to run VMware fusion I would highly recommend getting the MBP instead.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll wait and see after the holidays, since I plan on purchasing a new MBA in January '09. That MBP just feels way too heavy after the MBA...

7. mattnxtc thread starter macrumors member

Zer0

Do you think there would be significant lag running when running VMware Fushion?