1.8GHz i7 MBA + Ableton Live?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by revilate, Feb 11, 2012.

1. revilate, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

revilate macrumors member

Hi all,

I've recently arrived into the market for an 11" 1.8GHz i7 MacBook Air and just had a few short questions about the usability of it and specifically a few applications.

I usually only use three applications whenever I use the computer (not simultaneously of course):
    • Ableton Live 8
    • Photoshop CS5
    • Counter Strike: Source (via Steam)

My Question is, is an 11" 1.8GHz i7 MacBook Air powerful enough to run these three applications and/or does anyone have direct experience that they'd like to share personally also using these applications on such or near a system as I intend to buy?

On average with Ableton, I run around a maximum of 9 or 10 channels, with anywhere from 2 to 10 processors. I'm not sure how much that would bog the system down with signal processing, but I'm willing to step up how often I bounce tracks to compensate.

Also on Ableton, I rarely use virtual instruments. I mostly work with .wav or .aiff audio samples.

On average with photoshop, I only toy around with images lower than 1000px x 1000px, and even then it's simple editing.

With Counter Strike, I wouldn't at all mind scaling the graphics back, albeit an older game, to ensure the smoothest playability.

Thank you so much ahead of time for your responses, input and help!

P.S., anyone use Logic on these machines? How is it?

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I'd also REALLY like to know about Logic and Ableton Live 8.

There is someone on these boards that uses it for a DJ setup ... listed on the MBA Setup picture thread. The resolution would be an issue for the on-board screen as the real-estate would not be enough, causing scrolling. But with external display nothing but bliss.

C2D was just too limited in the Al MB ... the MBP using it in the 15" lineup could muster enough ... yet Core i7 should be more than adequate imho; but what do I know.

To be honest since either of us is curious & asking I'll bet that our immediate use would not be intensive enough to see any performance issues; maybe in time with more experience would.

Does anyone know?

3. miquee macrumors newbie

I have 2011 13" model with i5 1,7 ghz. Everything you're asking runs fine on my computer. Ableton, scratch live, adobe cs,... What I would love to have is another 4gigs of memory, unfortunately not possible.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

SWEET! Glad for the info.
    how come RAM cannot be updated by ourselves?

5. KPOM macrumors G5

It is soldered onto the logic board.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

WHAT?! .... I think I swallowed my tongue!!! :eek:

Can the 13" Ultimate be BTO with 8GB of RAM?

Why do I get the feeling that the OS lifespan is not much more than 2 generations??

7. KPOM macrumors G5

No. The MacBook Air is limited to 4GB.

I suspect that it will be capable of at least 2 more upgrades after Mountain Lion. Note that Mountain Lion will still run with 2GB of RAM.

8. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

There's lots of stuff soldered onto the motherboard :p But yeah, 4GB is a bit limiting, especially if running VMs. I'm having a look to see if I could swap out the chips with higher density units to give 8GB (yes I have access to a reflow work area and even a BGA re-balling machine)

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

If it works and your process is clean I sense someone going into business :)