Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland
I have bought my son an iPod touch for Christmas, I have loads of games etc on my account, I want to put them on the iPod for him but I don't want everything from my iPhone syncing to him, neither do I want photos or whatever syncing to him, I just want to use 1 ID but for the two devices to be totally separate. Is this possible?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have bought my son an iPod touch for Christmas, I have loads of games etc on my account, I want to put them on the iPod for him but I don't want everything from my iPhone syncing to him, neither do I want photos or whatever syncing to him, I just want to use 1 ID but for the two devices to be totally separate. Is this possible?

Yes possible I use the same ID on 4 difference iOS devices. Photos and other stuff won;t go in there unless you set it to. just use your ID on the Apple store and download all the games and apps. do not set iCloud or email with the same ID or will sync photos and stuff

Last edited:

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland
Yes possible I use the same ID on 4 difference iOS devices. Photos and other stuff won;t go in there unless you set it to. just use your ID on the Apple store and download all the games and apps. do not set iCloud or email with the same ID or will sync photos and stuff

Thanks, simple, should of thought of that.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, simple, should of thought of that.

Yep super easy and even secure, since you are required to enter your password every time you download an update or purchase something, so your son will have to ask you before buying or updating anything which in most cases is a good thing.

Also make sure to disable "automatic Downloads" so the app you buy on your phone don't get download automatically to your son's iPod. (this a new feature in iOS5 that in most cases gets overlooked). ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.