1 area that Windows kicks Mac ass

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stimpycat, Nov 19, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

As a recent (3 month) switcher I am very happy with my mac, but as a graphic designer the one thing I really miss is being able to preview my files rather than see a non-descript icon.

Why can't apple create a file preview option? I am really hoping that I am being a dumbass and that someone will reply with some witty answer that the option has been there all along and it's me who is the real fool.

When you have hundreds of images, not being able to preview what you have is a real pain and could even be a good reason to switch to Windows again :(

[​IMG]
    not only does it seem too stupid to show a preview, it's apparently to stupid to increase the number of file columns depending on the width of the finder window so I can only see 4 columns no matter what.

I upgraded to Leopard thinking the file preview would work, but coverflow is only a little bit better than just clicking each file individulay and still requires a lot of user control - it also fails to show most filetypes such as EPS (hardly rare) and instead all I see is some cheeky chinease lad.
    [​IMG]

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Right click in the Finder, show view options, show icon preview :)

Arrange by (name/date etc.) to have changing column numbers...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

on the menu bar in your screen shot, you'll see a row of icons - click on the one with 3 panels and then select a file - you'll not only see a preview of the file if it was generated with a thumbnail, but you can also view movies (small size, but all the controls).

D

4. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent - you guys are great :)

Now I don't need to switch back.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A relief to us all ;) :p

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Creating a post with that title is a sure way of getting your question answered and quickly.

Well done OP for cracking the MacRumors code.

Cheers.

7. fabsgwu macrumors regular

Like sending out the Batsignal!

For pesky jpegs and other pictures that still don't show a thumbnail even after changing the settings, consider using a utility to add the thumb. I use Quickimage (for Tiger), but there's other freeware apps out there such as CocoThumbX which help.

8. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Heck, I love that my Mac will show me a preview of RAW files, my PC can't do that! :)

9. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Don't forget to try hitting the space bar with an icon selected ;)