1 Barber Shop. 4 Ladies. 1 Macbook.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fivepoint, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

After years of struggling with viruses and malware on her Dell, my relative is planning on getting a Macbook for use in her Barber Shop. In that shop, there are 3 other ladies using the computer for personal use (checking email, playing online games, weather, etc.), and this I think is what caused her old computer to slow down so much. With 4 unregulated users going to whatever webpages they wanted to downloading whatever they wanted to, things got bogged down quickly.

The Mac, I think, will fix about 80% of these problems. However, I'm looking for other methods to help ensure this computer stays as fresh and speedy as possible after being used by 4 non-techie people who always seem to find a way to screw things up. What recommendations do you have on this front? Multiple user accounts which can be deleted and recreated occasionally? No cookies accepted in Safari? Some sort of limitations on downloads?

What steps should I take in setting the computer up? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just setup the user accounts and let them have at it. Really the only maintenance needed is to make sure they don't fill up the available drive space (which that kind of stuff isn't likely to do) and to run Disk Utility every couple months or so. There's not much they'll be able to mess up.

jW

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Set up the person that owns the Macbook as admin and the other 3 as limited users.

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

So... then if the computer begins to slow down you can simply delete users which will delete everything they downloaded, all of their settings, etc.? And you'll be back to normal at that point?

5. GregE macrumors 6502

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's not even necessary, Macs don't really bog down in the same sense that PC's do over time. However, if you felt like it, yes, you could do that.

jW

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This is the way to go. If they're just casual users they won't feel the limitations, and it reduces the amount of damage they can do through ernest mucking about.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Isn't there a guest user account now that wipes everything clean after you log out?

I would just login as that each morning and not worry about it.

XP slows down over time. You need to reinstall it every so often (Admins might dissagree here).

Most of the crapware gets installed by visiting the game sites, kids websites are particularly bad. I wouldn't really worry about it on the Mac though.

9. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Any suggestions for specific applications and the like? Anything other than creating individual user accounts?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think if you make the accounts standard or managed/limited accounts that cannot install software, you will be more than fine without doing anything beyond that.

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

My grandparents used to own a salon in Jacksonville, off San Jose. Their shop computer was an E-Machine. Everyone and their mother was getting on it to go to Myspace.

We did a full system scan of the computer, and found over 100 trojans and keyloggers.

As for the computer, get an iMac instead and a macbook for her own personal use. Restrict all use to the computer except for work related purposes.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I'd second the iMac suggestion. Aside from giving you more life span/performance bang for your buck, it's also less prone to breakage and can be subtly chained to a desk using the security lock slot. That's how mine is set up at the moment.

13. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

No we don't it does slow down and you have to reinstall. You can run defrag and clean up unused programs all you want and it will still never be the same as a fresh clean install.

14. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The reason for the macbook is because she takes it home every couple of days to 'do books.' (accounting) The machine has to be portable. However, we are also getting a cheap 20" dell screen ($150) and a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse with it as well so the macbook can stay in a drawer safe and sound during the day.

Excellent. Thanks... That's all it should take, huh? No other software suggestions?

Thanks guys!

15. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

tell her to enforce some shop rules and put up some site filters. I know my boss used to chew us out for wasting many an hour on youtube (thanks to histories...just deleting them would make you look suspicious lol). personally, for a shop computer, I would stick w/ the dell, or something that is cheap and doesn't matter much.

16. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I would say the guest account may work well for you, wipes it all clean after a logout.

17. bizzle macrumors 6502a

18. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

That works best for newphews and girlfriend's 14 years old daughter.

19. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Agreement!

I was just about to post this.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4 Non admin accounts, quick user switching. Ethernet cable. Lock cable. Max out RAM.

OSX doesn't slow down very much even with constant use. There are no spyware or viruses.

21. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Keep the Dell, put Xubuntu on it, and keep it there for public use. Get a MacBook just for your relative.

22. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I agree or anytype of linux for that matter, ubuntu is most used, which xubuntu is a part of ubuntu in some way no actuall difference besides colour.