$1 Billion Dollar iPod Business

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

NYTimes reports on the $1 billion dollar iPod accessory business:

Rarely does one product foster such a sizable industry around it. Many of the iPod accessory makers, like Belkin, Kensington or Logitech, cut their teeth making accessories for personal computers. But no one product, not even the Macintosh, created the kind of accessory mania that the iPod has.
Apple is increasing its participation in this market and also exerting more control with its "Made for iPod" logo licensing. Meanwhile, Apple remains tight lipped about the direction they are heading with the iPod. As a result, accessory makers pay close attention to the rumor sites to find out what's in the pipeline.

Belkin's director of Product Manangement was said to be listening to all the rumors leading up to Macworld San Francisco for any insight into which direction Apple may be heading.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You have to wonder at the dizzying array of accessories available...and they pop up in the weirdest places. I saw a rack of iPod cases at a gas station once. Huh?!

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I agree..

As a result, accessory makers pay close attention to the rumor sites to find out what's in the pipeline.
It does kinda suck apple is so quiet about releasing things...i hated to wait 2 months to get a decent case for my ipod video....

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Lord Blackadder said:
TYou have to wonder at the dizzsying array of accessoriese available.
Uh. OK. :rolleyes:

We may start seeing even more Apple-branded accessories in the near future. That's a big chunk o' change not to be capitalizing on.

B

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Surprise, Surprise!

AJ Muni said:
It does kinda suck apple is so quiet about releasing things...i hated to wait 2 months to get a decent case for my ipod video....
This is ONLY the beginning. The transformation
has now begun. Wi-Fi, Safari, mobile OS X, and
iPod=mobile computer. The Newton
Newly Realized! ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its not surprising. the iPod is simple, the accessories make it feature-rich. its an expensive toy, so people don't mind spending even more money on cases and other accessories as well.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
yeh i was surprised to see a USB adaptor for an ipod at an airport. crazy. who'd of thought? they're everywhere now. i remember when i first got the original back in 2001, no one had even heard of them. people were like 'WHOA!! what is that thing'; "it's an ipod, stores 5 gigs of music!", and they used to say "that's freakin' awesome, i want one". nowadays, they're everywhere. but i still have my original; people say "WHOA!! that thing's a brick! Only stores 5 gigs!?"

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
ipod economy

i worked in a kiosk selling mostly ipod accesories for the holiday and my god, there was something new coming out every day. this is a great thing for apple and the ipods future.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The amount of iPod accessories is INSANE, and is a really tough hurdle for MS or anyone to overcome.

My Microcenter has the Macs AND the iPods hidden away in a back corner. But the iPod accessories? Front and center as you walk in.

Which serves indirectly as yet another kind of iPod advertising.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Frankly, I'm really sick of all the ipod accessories. I was in sharper image the other day and I saw an iChair. You plug your ipod into this chair and it plays your music. LAME!

I would like to see Apple tighten its grip. Finally...

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
nagromme said:
The amount of iPod accessories is INSANE, and is a really tough hurdle for MS or anyone to overcome.

My Microcenter has the Macs AND the iPods hidden away in a back corner. But the iPod accessories? Front and center as you walk in.

Which serves indirectly as yet another kind of iPod advertising.

not really much apple can do, but you don't see them complaining. then again, i wouldn't either. the acceessories do pretty much fuel the fire and makes you wonder how and when it became so frenzied. as for ms, they've enjoyed the exact same success as apple's ipod only with their OS. 95% of the third party programs out there are and have been for windows for years so i really don't have much sympathy for them

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
nxent said:
yeh i was surprised to see a USB adaptor for an ipod at an airport. crazy. who'd of thought? they're everywhere now. i remember when i first got the original back in 2001, no one had even heard of them. people were like 'WHOA!! what is that thing'; "it's an ipod, stores 5 gigs of music!", and they used to say "that's freakin' awesome, i want one". nowadays, they're everywhere. but i still have my original; people say "WHOA!! that thing's a brick! Only stores 5 gigs!?"
I got mine in late 2002 (saved up money over the summer) and remember kids asking about it. A few people liked it, but most thought the headphones looked stupid and that I should get the "Cool" wrap around headphones everyone used with their CD players. Others asked why the iPod is so much better then a CD player (the screen was an obvious plus). To be honest, I didn't expect the iPod to get so big. I knew it was a gem, but when over half the people in classroom are listening to ipods at the same time... You know something went right. It feels like I have told this story a thousand times... :(

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Macrumors said:
Belkin's director of Product Manangement was said to be listening to all the rumors leading up to Macworld San Francisco for any insight into which direction Apple may be heading.
Wouldn't it be fun to organize a fake rumor about a new undocumented iPod "feature" only available via a "currently unmapped" set of pins on the dock connector. Imagine all of Belkin's wasted R&D dollars as they try to be the first to market a new -useless- accessory.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
BornAgainMac said:
Hi Belkin staff! No news yet. Check again later.
alright who works for belkin and who works for Griffin (you guys need to redesign the road trip so it a flexable metal arm thingy... like the microphones have on podiums) :p
Dr. Dastardly said:
$900,000,000 worth of that business is just stupid crap. :rolleyes:
the ipod flexable guy thing is not stupid crap..wait yes it is :p

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
All that money invested, and they still can't come out with a Case for the Nano that doesn't suck..

there's no way I'm gonna get those plastic wrap things, cuz something about applying a wet piece of plastic to an electronic device doesn't sit well with me.

And all the other cases ruin the slimness and sexy look that the Nano has...So i just put it in a sunglasses bag/case...

I don't see any accessories out there that peak my interest at all...

RayCon

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2001
Stillwater MN
Peripheral supportive business bolsters the original product

This multitude of accessories for the iPod is a very good thing. Each, in its own way, whether a good product or not, advertises the popularity or "coolness" of the original product, making it more and more difficult for competitors. "Look at this iRiver. What accessories can I get for it? Look at this iPod… wow!";)

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
mackeeper said:
Frankly, I'm really sick of all the ipod accessories. I was in sharper image the other day and I saw an iChair. You plug your ipod into this chair and it plays your music. LAME!

I would like to see Apple tighten its grip. Finally...
All these accessories are a symbol of Apple's success so I am not complaining.
I guess that is why they brought in the "Made For iPod" trademark to try and keep some quality control. They know what is happening - they have hit the big time and the iPod will eventually become a boring "everywhere" kind of item - it's inevitable.....that is why people like you and me (and many on this forum) want something new and exclusive, to keep us feeling special and in the know. So we have to wait for that device, while the mystique of the iPod steadily diminishes in contrast with Apple's profits.

Apple's grip is tight enough all ready. If anything they will have to steadily loosen it to keep the device in the news. I am astounded they have still not opened the platform for other developers (they may start with widgets) - perhaps when they do we will know the iPod has reached its zenith of success?

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
maya said:
Personally I have never bought any iPod add-on, etc...yet. ;) :)

They will have to work hard for me to actually get interested in any of they products. ;) :D
Haha, agreed. My iPod's pretty enough by itself! :p
Except for the fact that it's freaking really scratche up. :eek: :rolleyes:

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
doogle said:
All these accessories are a symbol of Apple's success so I am not complaining.
I guess that is why they brought in the "Made For iPod" trademark to try and keep some quality control. They know what is happening - they have hit the big time and the iPod will eventually become a boring "everywhere" kind of item - it's inevitable.....that is why people like you and me (and many on this forum) want something new and exclusive, to keep us feeling special and in the know. So we have to wait for that device, while the mystique of the iPod steadily diminishes in contrast with Apple's profits.

Apple's grip is tight enough all ready. If anything they will have to steadily loosen it to keep the device in the news. I am astounded they have still not opened the platform for other developers (they may start with widgets) - perhaps when they do we will know the iPod has reached its zenith of success?
Yeah. A lot of people don't even think my 5G 30GB black iPod is that cool! :eek:
no, seriously, out of my 5 closest friends, 4 of them have an identical iPod. I AM NOT JOKING.
But I was the first, so neh! :p
Ok, ok, this group of friends I hang out with, maybe not my absolute best. Not, but almost.:rolleyes:
I have all these other friends with nanos I hang out w/.:rolleyes: ;)
But not joking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.