1 Bluetooth Apple Keyboard w/ 2 Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecoard, Aug 11, 2008.

1. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

Hey guys, needing some help.

I recently picked up the Apple bluetooth keyboard at Best Buy, open box. I know with my old keyboard, I could set it up to sync with my Powerbook and Macbook, so that when I used one of them, I could close the other laptop to switch. I need to know two things:

1. How can I set up the keyboard to use with both computers?
    2. Is there a program or an easier way to switch which computer is using the bluetooth keyboard? I'd like to be apple to run an applescript or press a button when switching, any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance

-Coard

2. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Hmmm... Connecting it should not pose a problem. You just have each machine look for the device, and enter the (long) code on the keyboard when the Mac tells you.

However, I don't know how you would be able to swap it between to computers that are both on...

All I can think of would be an Apple Script that would:
    a) toggle the BT on the computer you run the script on
    AND
    b) send a message to toggle the BT on the other computer over the LAN...

And sorry, but I'm not an Apple Script person.

You could always give it a go. The worst that'll happen is you'll be typing on the wrong Mac...

:apple::apple:

3. dimonay macrumors member

You'd have to get a KVM switch to switch between computers if you want it done easily, KVMs have their own way of switching (some you press Scroll Lock twice etc.)

If you're more technically inclined, you should try using Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/)