1 Cam 16x9 - 2 Cams 4x3 ??? Novice Editor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rcmvideo, Feb 27, 2010.

1. rcmvideo macrumors newbie

We made a rookie mistake. We shot a project 16 x 9 and did not reset the camera for the next shoot, which we shot from three angles. The other two cameras were set SD 4x3.

How do I make the adjustments necessary to have a smooth project?

Thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Also, what camera were you using? Some cameras shoot true 16:9 and others just take the 4:3 frame and crop it to a 16:9 aspect. You're going to have to either crop your 16:9 footage down to 4:3 or vice versa. I don't believe iMovie is capable of doing this.

4. rcmvideo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using FCP Studio 2.

The footage was shot on a Sony HVR-HD1000U.

I am learning FCP as I go so I only know the basics of the programs abilities. I know how to crop vaguely. How do I crop from 16X9 to 4X3 for editing.. Do I do the entire piece or do I do it in smaller chunks

The 16X9 Footage is my baseline piece that has my audio tracks as well. I had planned to lay this track in and then build from there cutting the other two angles in as appropriate. The footage is just over 30 mins long.

5. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to apply the Widescreen filter in FCP to the 4x3 cameras and crop the image to match the 16x9.

6. rcmvideo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys. I will give it a try. Hopefully I can figure out how to apply the 16 x 9 filter, I tried it once before but did something incorrect! Go figure!

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You can do this in iMovie '09 (maybe in '08 too). It will take 4:3 footage and crop and expand to fill a 16:9 frame. Not advisable obviously because of the crappy quality you get from zooming in so much, but it works.