1-Click is dangerous

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dannylievens, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dannylievens, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

dannylievens macrumors newbie

App store works with a 1-click that can't be changed (as for the apple-store)
    Some Items are above 150€, no confirmations are asked.
    Imagine a kid playing on your computer or just a wrong click... as I experienced

No refund...

This should be an option, not a policy!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sign out before you quit. Not that difficult. Store -> Sign Out.

3. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Love the way people have to pick out the most stupid of faults.

4. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I also pressed just a button and the download began, luckily it was a free app :eek: but i was still confused

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not stupid, it's just easily fixable.

6. DerfBWH macrumors regular

I too find this to be a pretty serious issue and don't understand why Apple wouldn't at least give people to option of a confirmation dialog before the final purchase is made.

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

8. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I always have to type in my password when I make a purchase. It's an option in the Store menu

9. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Where is the preference to ask for password for every purchase? I can not seem to find it.

Personally, I think that accidentally clicking on a link is too easy and asking for password for every purchase should be the default behavior. This would avoid the hassle of calling the credit card company to take back the charge.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I agree with you - it is stupid of Apple to enable accidentally charging one's card $100+ with a single click with no obvious option for safeguarding. It is especially easy to click accidentally on a laptop trackpad, where all it takes is a single touch.

I spent almost twenty minutes in the app store and I still can not figure out how to turn the damn thing to ask for password for every purchase.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't use the App Store if you don't trust yourself then. Nobody's forcing you to use it.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think it's linked to the settings in iTunes - I clicked "reset all warnings" in my iTunes account page and it now asks me for my password the first time I download something from the App Store (it doesn't ask again until I close the App Store and re-open it)

13. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Thanks Phil A.- this is what may have solved it for me. But surely, these settings were hidden quite well.

Hm. You must be the only person that has never clicked on anything or done anything by mistake. Kudos. For everyone else, it would be nice to have an option to have 1-click removed if one chooses to do so. It is all about the choice.

14. dannylievens thread starter macrumors newbie

Tx, this is for the time being a good work around. Apple should add the option.

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

That's interesting. Because with every purchase I've made, it's asked for my Apple account password. This goes from Music/Movies in iTunes, iOS Apps on my iPhone and the Mac App Store.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I polish that trophy every day. Thanks for giving credit where credit is due.

You have the choice not to use the App Store. You have the choice to sign out of your Apple account every time you use the App Store. You have the choice to use a more open platform like Linux (or, for that matter, Windows). If you are looking for choice, you should not have bought an Apple product. It's been that way for 11 years or so now.

17. Cougar2465 macrumors newbie

People like you stop the developers improve their work cause you just take what is given to you!!
    The OP is not saying that its rubbish ... he just wanted them to improve/add its functionality.

18. Arfus macrumors member

I managed to do that aswell last night. Lucky it was 20$ There is expensive apps for mac. Saw one last night to 3-500$

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you even understand the issue? Apparently not. The OP was complaining about 1-click buying without a password prompt. The obvious, built-in solution is to Sign Out of your account.

Am I missing something completely obvious here, or are you all really just not getting it?

20. Cougar2465 macrumors newbie

Yes the OP was complaining and wanted it to be improved or other functionality added to it. Eventhough he didn't exactly say that but we know what he wanted!! try to understand more about what people post before giving them smart ass comments like chose something else instead of Apple etc ...
    Developers DO read our posts and consider our complaints on their updates!!

Signing out after every time you purchase is not a good solutions as people still want to browse other apps while still signed in ...

21. garethpauljones macrumors newbie

Yeah, don't I know it. I accidentally bought the $600 app last night - see my post here. (post no. 5)

22. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I haven't posted here for quite some time, and this thread reminded me why.
    The OP makes a considered and relevant comment (pertinent too, as only the other day I accidently knocked my trackpad and downloaded an album in iTunes). He is immediately shot down in flames.
    Fortunately Phil.A comes to the rescue with a very good suggestion and in doing so rescues the thread and makes it useful.

Please - if you have nothing positive to contribute just keep quiet - we aren't interested in knowing how wonderfully smart you are, just in increasing our knowledge.

23. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, it's good that if you sign out of the App Store, you can't accidentally purchase something as you browse. What about those situations, where you are browsing, find an app you want to buy, and so you sign in, download it, and then accidentally click as you move the mouse away, thus purchasing, without any warnings or notifications or password prompts, another app?

Look, there's something to be said for being careful and responsible. However, making it so that a single click, without any chance to stop the process, could potentially cost you hundreds of dollars that you then have to spend the next few days trying to recover, is not good business for Apple. They don't want that, because doing refunds will be an added cost. I will guarantee that they will quickly issue a fix for this, and turn off the one-click buying unless the user opts in.

Is it the worst thing they could ever have done? No. Does it mean the Mac App Store is evil and should be avoided? No. Have I accidentally purchased something on the Mac App Store because of it? No. Do I think it should be fixed?

Yep.

And you can bet that plenty of other people want it fixed too, and among them are some of the people at Apple who will be involved in the decision. I can't see this functionality not getting improved, and quickly.

jW

24. dannylievens thread starter macrumors newbie

Received workaround from Apple

The workaround makes you enter your password for every sale. Don't ask me how it works and follow the steps carefully.:eek:

"Dear Danny,

Its Harish here again. I'm glad to hear back from you.

Danny, to resolve this issue, please reset your iTunes account's password.

You can simply reset it via Apple's iForgot website at:

http://iforgot.apple.com

After reseting the password please see if it works, if you still get the same error please sync your device to your computer and follow the steps below:

Please delete the credit card information from your account:

1) Open iTunes and sign in to the iTunes Store.
    2) Select "View My Account" from the Store menu.
    3) Enter your password and click the View Account button.
    4) Click the Edit Payment Information button.
    5) Select "None" as the payment type.
    6) Click the Done button at the bottom of the page.

After you select the "None" option, please attempt to download a free App from iTunes Store. Then sign out from your account and sign in back and re-add your credit card information.

Please follow these steps to confirm or update your account's information:

1) Go to the My Apple ID site at:

http://appleid.apple.com/

2) If the site is not displayed in your preferred language, click the Change Language link in the upper-right corner, type the name of your language in the field that appears, then click the Save button.

3) Click the "Manage your account" link.

4) Type your iTunes Store account name (which is your Apple ID) in the Apple ID field, type your password in the password field, then click the Sign In button.

5) Click "Addresses" in the left column.

6) Confirm or edit your information.

7) Click "Phone Numbers" on the left. Make sure the area codes and phone numbers are entered correctly in their respective fields.

8) Click Save Changes.

Once your information is updated, try placing an order on the iTunes Store again.

I hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact me incase you need any further assistance.

Thank you for being a loyal iTunes Customer. Apple appreciates your business.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Harish
    iTunes Store Customer Support

Please Note: I work Sunday and Monday-Friday 07:00AM-04:00PM (CST)

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.
    "

25. jim4spam macrumors member

I too have some concerns about the ease of making a mistakes in purchasing from the app store. I also allow my kids (3 and 6) to play simple games in my ipod touch. I take the following precautions:
    1) turn off the wifi before handing them the ipod touch. Every time without fail.
    2) I have the option set where I need to enter my password for the first purchase in a given session
    3) I have removed my credit card details from the itunes account and I use a gift card to charge up my account. then in the worst case I could only lose 25USD by either my (or my kids) mistake or account hacking.

hope this helps
    Jim.