1 Dead Pixel - 1 DEAD PIXEL!!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tdgrn, May 2, 2010.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

So as you can see, my new iMac has 1 dead pixel. How many does Apple require before you get it serviced? I don't have an Apple Store here, so I would have to pack it up, and it is somewhere where I would hardly notice it under most circumstances.

The only thing is that this DRIVES ME NUTTS!!!
    I know it is only 1, literally 1 pixel that doesn't complete show white correctly, but all other colors. :mad:

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Where is it? You could always just put the dock over it and move on lol.

I know how it feels to be so bothered by the smallest flaw.

3. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

It is roughly 2 inches from the bottom of the screen and 3 from the right side, so the dock won't cover it.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i think your target is 8 dead ones before apple thinks its a issue

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Choose a wallpaper that matches the dead pixel. I have a few dead pixels on my 24" and i very rarely notice them. It shouldn't be too big of a deal.

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

7. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Hurmmmm...

I always thought that you could return a product form Apple simply if did not like it. Maybe they will charge a restocking fee. That realy doesn't seem right, their should be a way to get that fixed free of charge. I would strongly suggest you start emailing the higher-ups.

Best of luck to you.

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the only way to fix that dead pixel would be a new display , and on the new display its not certain if it comes without dead pixels so he could end up with a new display with 7 dead pixels
    and a certain amount of dead pixels is fully acceptable ,so even if it has a couple of them all over the screen its no reason to return it

9. iJoop macrumors newbie

1 Dead pixel is acceptable. I bet that you won't recognize it in normal use.

But it really seem to bother you so much, so I suggest you to contact Reseller or wherever you bought it as soon as possible.

10. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Normal use is to have 2 documents open at the same time, side by side. Unfortunately, it does really bother me due to this, because I almost always have multiple things going at the same time.

Thanks for the info MacHamster68. I think I am still going to give them a call, as I did spend 2 grand on this machine, so I want everything to be perfect. It would be one thing if I messed something up on it like scratched it or something, but it came like this in my case.

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

good luck with the call , iknow how it must feel to open up the box with the new mac and aaaaah a dead pixel , it really must be a nightmare , i could not ignore that dead pixel i would unconsciously automatically staring on it in the hope it goes away again , had the problem with a laptop years ago and was so disappointed about their policy that told me i have to accept this dead pixel because its unavoidable in the manufacturing process (wasn't a apple product)

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

it is 1 pixel over 3686400: I think you can live with it ;)

13. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you know what I can live with? I am a college student, who works 40 hours a week, goes to school 18hrs per semester, and just spent $2000 on this machine - That has a dead Pixel.

I understand that somethings bother other people differently, but when I spend money, I want my product to be perfect.

Thanks everybody for the help.

14. splitpea macrumors 6502a

What with 12." - 15.2" and 17" - 20", I don't see 15.4" covered... :confused:

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't worry man.. I had ONE DEAD PIXEL on my MacBookPro 17, for the first few months it frustrated me! After a while I gotten about it... and towards the end of the year, for some reason I didn't have one deal pixel but a whole line of them in BRIGHT RED right accross the middle of the screen!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

After taking the machine to an Apple Store for service regarding some other issue, the tech guy offered to swap out the entire display! Then he asked... "did you know there's a dead pixel on the display too?" :eek: On pick up.. I plugged the damn thing in and tested the whole machine.. looking for scratches too!! The guy wanted me to be happy with his work. Now, there's ZERO dead pixels!! Yay!!

Ummmm... a few weeks later....
    I somehow managed to scratched the otherwise perfect machine :eek::rolleyes:
    TBH, I ain't got a clue how! :mad::mad::mad:

16. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Dead pixels are common. It's nearly impossible to manufacture an LCD screen with no dead pixels.

17. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    I had the same issue as you a few years ago when i bought a nice new 20" 2.4ghz imac (think it was the first release of the alu imacs) I phoned the store up the day after I got it, took it back in a few days after and they allowed me to exchange it for no extra cost.

I agree that, when you spend that much on something that's new, you have every right to expect it to be perfect. How any policy can justify up to 8 pixels before an exchange is beyond me.

18. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

ask them to exchange it, if they wont, then return it.;)

19. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

maybe apple forgot they build a 15.4 inch display into a mac

20. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

and dead pixel policy's are more common in the industry and only less then a handful manufacturers of lcd screens have a zero tolerance policy to dead pixels and apple isnt one of them as they are not manufacturing screens , they just build them into their computers and laptops

my TAM from 1997 has no dead pixels , but then it was a TAM and not just a ordinary Mac so apple would have exchanged the display if it had a dead pixel back then

21. BehindTimes macrumors newbie

This might have been true a decade ago, but it's definitely not true anymore. While dead pixels are a real possibility, they're not entirely common. Less than 1% of LCD monitors have one or more dead pixels. You're more likely to have backlight problems before you get a dead pixel.

This doesn't necessarily mean you're home free when ordering a monitor. Unfortunately, many places still keep the same restrictive policies on monitor replacement, which can allow for more than 1 (sometimes up to 7 or higher) before you qualify for a return. Remember, less than 1% still means that out of 1000 people, there will still be an unfortunate few. You either live with it, or you fuss until they allow you to exchange it.

Even with my iMac, which has gotten at least 5 replacements or repairs, I have yet to get a dead pixel. Unfortunately the yellow tinge is still there. But the good news is that unless Apple is just recycling bad monitors into their iMacs (which at this point wouldn't surprise me), dead pixels are overblown.

22. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you could be right there but unfortunately it is still very common that the manufacturers say its unavoidable to have dead pixels and up to whatever the policy says (differs from manufactuer to manufacturer )the customer has to accept these , that was the reason i have kept hanging on to crt screens up to a day ago when i took the gamble and bought a HP 22 inch lcd display lucky without a dead or sleeping pixel for my mini to replace the lacie electron blue 22inch crt

btw there are diferences some people who think they have a dead pixel only have a stuck or sleeping pixel (means it got stuck in one color and fell asleep in that position )which might wake up one day

23. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to give everybody an update:

Phoned Apple, they said since it is less than 2 weeks old, I could just return it for a new one. The problem is that I purchased it through Best Buy For Business. However, everything is still all good, as I still can return it, I just have to go through a couple of extra hoops. I'm glad to hear that obviously this is not a common issue, and that I should just live with it.

Dually noted - AppleCare stated there was no official policy on how many pixels were out, but that I had an issue, and they were going to take care of me. Just thought I should let everybody know. Thanks again for all the help!

24. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

That sucks. I remember a while back I bought a laptop that had a dead pixel, like the second day of using it, and I immediately returned it.
    It's just a bother knowing that it's there, and I definitely know how you feel.

Anyway, if you can actually find anything else that's wrong with the display, like yellowing/backlight bleed, which is pretty common in iMacs these days, then you might get away with a replacement.

Schedule a on sight, so you know they won't be running any ******** tests to prove that it's actually there. And it's quicker too.

I highly doubt Apple will let you get a replacement for just one dead pixel, unless something else it wrong with the machine. So.. use your imagination ;)

25. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you not read my post?
    They are going to take care of it, for just one dead pixel. :D

Obviously it sucks to go through the hassle, but it really sucks because nothing else is wrong with it, no yellow backlighting, no uneven backlighting, no weird audio issues, nothing. Just one f'n pixel away from perfection. I'm glad I am going to get it taken care of, but it just makes for a sad panda.