1 dead pixel and 1 spec of dust, replace or keep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soluate, Sep 29, 2008.

1. soluate macrumors newbie

My iPhone (which I had replaced a few weeks ago) has developed a small 1px red dot on the screen (is this a dead pixel?) which shows on every screen. I've also got some (a small spec) of dust under the glass of the screen.

Am I being too picky or should I just try and get a replacement?

2. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

So far I've had one phone with numerous dead pixels, one phone with a type of stain on the underside of the screen and now my current one has 1 dead pixel and around the edge there is a glow. I've given up because I know my next one will probably be worse.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I think you are being too picky

what you have is considered a "stuck pixel" . A dead pixel will be all black ( or all white)

Where exactly is the small spec of dust .. IF it is in the center, it would probably annoy me enough to swap, but if its off to the side don't risk it

What many people fail to realize, is that this is a psychological problem and not necessarily one about being to picky.

You have to stop looking for the faults in your screen ( which clearly you are), once you do that you will realize that you will totally forget about the dust and the stuck pixel.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Absolutely get it replaced. You spent a lot of money on that phone, you're locked into a two year contract on it, and since you're already concerned enough about the defects to be posting here, I doubt you're going to forget the problems over the next 24 months.

Bottom line: it's not your fault that Apple's QC for the iPhone 3G is non-existent. You spent a lot of money on that phone, and you deserve to have a unit that is not defective. Demand a replacement, and keep doing so until you get one that is perfect.

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I disagree completely. There is absolutely no reason that you should NOT return it. It is under warranty, there is a manufacturers defect, and it is bothering u.

I am not sure how this is a psychological problem, unless this statement is meant as a joke. You paid for a perfect product, and u deserve one.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Don't most warranties have built-in tolerances for slight defects?

I'm pretty sure most LCD manufactures permit a dead pixel or two to leave the factory.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

A dead pixel isn't worth getting a replacement for, especially when the pixels are as small as they are on the iPhone. Dust under the screen is worth getting a replacement though. That would drive me nuts.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I think you people fail to realize that he could end up getting a worse phone

and yes I know he can keep going back and getting replacements, but its much easier just to not worry about it.

This is a cognitive problem ( don't take offense to the term). Basically you have to stop telling yourself that there is a problem with your iPhone...

.... You know what screw it, I think I've said this over and over on this forums.

If you are a person who will die if they don't have a perfect iPhone, and have the free time to constantly go back and get upwards of 7+ replacements, there's no way I can convince you otherwise.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'd argue that it's THAT kind of attitude that lets Apple get away with such poor quality control in the first place. ;)

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

perfection doesnt exist period

do you guys inspect every product you buys as intense as the iphone? i didnt think so. of course you will most likely find something if you look hard enough

crap guys, my minute hand on my nice watch doesnt match up exactly on a minute tick when the second hand starts a new minute. what am i ever going to do?

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

RETURN IT!

(on a side note -- I wonder how many replacements it takes before you dissolve Apple's profit from you and, in fact, become a drain on them. I'm pretty with other stuff (like watches), they'll offer you your money back and that's it. If you want to buy another new one, I guess they leave that up to you.)

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Well if that watch will cost you well over $3000 over the course of a 26 month contract - like my iPhone is costing me - then you should return it. What am I missing here? :confused: