1 Dead Pixel on 15" rMBP - Exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moshe1010, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Moshe1010, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

I've noticed I have one dead, white, pixel on the center of my 15" rMBP. I wouldn't notice it without a pixel test, but every time my computer went on from sleep, I could see a dot on the 5 sec gray screen.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Apple would replace it (I bought it few months ago), and if yes, can I somehow request Samsung display (this is what I have right now)? I have no interest in getting LG display, and I prefer to stay with this dead pixel than getting LG [yes, that bad]. I had LG rMBP before, and it was awful. It took me several exchanges until I got 15" rMBP with a Samsung display and I couldn't be more happier.

So what are my options?

Thanks.

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Exchange it. Apple announces this whole retina thing as the best laptop display in the world. It is the main selling point of the rMBP and the reason for such a high price. Now, Apple has to deliver it and you should not accept anything other than a perfect display.

3. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The question is if it possible to request (And actually get) Samsung display replacement?

4. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Nope.

5. Mattjeff macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

6. petereoin macrumors member

I also have one dead pixel which can only be seen against certain backgrounds, so not sure if it is actually dead or stuck.

Noticed it a while ago, but forgot about it until I was was watching a movie. Other than that everything is working as expected.

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

This is totally just based of the general impressions I have read, but it sounds like the Samsung panels are more susceptible to dead pixels while LGs are more vulnerable to image retention.

It's not scientific, and there are plenty of people with each type of panel perfectly happy with their screens, but that seems to be the trend where there are problems.

8. vaugha, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

vaugha macrumors regular

Ask them to replace the screen rather than exchanging the whole unit. My rmbp developed stuck pixels after 2 months and brought it in and they replaced it w/ another sammy display no questions asked. I'm fairly positive that if you're just replacing the screen, they will only use sammy displays and you can tell it's a sammy one from the p/n of the work authorization form that they give you before you leave. I read somewhere from apple's forums that they stopped using lg ones b/c people were just returning em. If you search around, sammy displays have p/n's that have their last 2 digits repeating whereas the old lg displays don't. I don't remember the exact p/n but I'm sure you will be able to find it.

Sammy displays being more susceptible to pixel anomalies is certainly an interesting theory for sure and time will tell. Btw, my original rmbp that came w/ a flawless sammy display developed stuck pixels after 2 months and I will continue to look for em on my repaired unit as well.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No matter which part number they use, it'll be a random display. There's no way of guaranteeing a particular manufacturer - new or service part.

10. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I will live with that. I can't notice it on my daily work, so it's not that bad. However, I read that it can spread out pretty quickly- Let's hope it won't.

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

12. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Guys is it possible to say I want to check out the new unit that your giving me before I turn in my old unit?

13. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think if it's a display issue, they just replace the display (if you passed the 14 days return window). So in that case you can't.

14. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

I have not passed the 14 days
    I just dont want to trade a samsung display for a lg display just because of a dead pixel

15. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you don't have BTO, you would probably get a replacement on spot. However, I'm not sure if you could open it and then refuse to take it because before they give you the opportunity to open the box, they make the exchange in their system by the serial number of your current laptop.