1 dead pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeM, Oct 19, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

ive got a dead pixel about 1cm in from the left of the screen. its really annoying because its in the white bit of web pages and word docs etc so always catches my eye.
    would apple replace it, repair it, or deem a single dead pixel to be acceptable?

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Apple has an acceptable anomaly policy referring to dead pixels. From what I can recall from reading about the old ACD's, one dead pixel won't qualify for a return/replacement under the policy. HOWEVER, it's up to Apple's discretion to return the product, as customer service is key. If they do replace the system for that reason and the replacement you get still has an acceptable number of pixel anomalies, you cannot return the second.

3. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Have you tried an unsticker? If everything else is great with your screen, I'd be hard pressed to send it back, especially since it's not in a terrible location. But try a pixel unsticker first if you haven't already. Ultimately you paid the dough for it, make sure you get what you want :)

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Ravin, no disrespect, but I don't think that would work. Those programs are reported to work with stuck/bright pixels, but not dead ones. Dead is dead.

5. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

nah unstickers dont work, the pixel is dark grey so i think its dead rather than stuck

6. X-Ravin macrumors regular

None taken. I find people use dead/stuck interchangeably, at least I did when I worked in IT. You are correct though, if it's dead, it's dead. :)

7. kis macrumors 65816

I've had various stuck and dead pixels - these programs never worked for me. I tried them for hours and hours on I don't know how many screens. Not ONCE did that work.

to the OP: if you're still within your 14 day return window, just give it back and get another one. I never accept flawed displays - they annoy the heck out of me and have a massive impact on the re-sale value.

8. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

im well outside my 14 days unfortunately, its a couple of months old. got an appointment tomorrow so we'll see what they say!

9. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Can you update us with the results? I'm curious if they still follow the same policy of yore on the ACD's.

10. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

just been in, theyre going to replace the whole top for me.
    they had a screen in stock but said i still need to allow up to 7 days, i cant go without my laptop at the moment so its going to have to wait a couple of weeks.

11. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Was the dead pixel there from day one or did it appear later? If later how long before it manifested?

12. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest I'm not sure. Only noticed it a couple of weeks ago

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I always check that first with some test images in each of the big colors.

One dead pixel at the edge imo is really not much of an issue. Stuck green is the worst. Stuck blue or red is also quite bad. Black ist just black it doesn't stick out unless you let yourself get annoyed by it. As you said you don't really notice it. It is imo the same thing as getting worked up over a scratch. A scratch doesn't hurt the utility much.

Lucky that they replace it. Afaik even one stuck is still in the policy and multiple dead ones.

14. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Yeah me too. I was under the impression that dead/stuck pixels are generally there from the start (I hope). Would be really annoying for it to just appear.

I would always change for a perfect one.