1 device vs 2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nanogirl21, Sep 7, 2015.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Hey guys,

My iPhone upgrade is coming soon and just wanted some other opinions about a decision I have to make. I am a die hard music lover. I have about 35 GB worth of music that I carry around everyday on my 64GB phone. I listen to it at work (6-ish hours/day), in the car (1-ish hour/day), and when I’m randomly out and about in stores (lets just use 1 hour/day for this convo). Obviously, I have battery issues and change it as soon as I get in the car or at a computer. I’m currently at 628 load cycles and 77.9% battery health since February 2014. However, I recently started getting that dreaded running low on storage message.

I have been thinking about getting a second device for my music only to allow some free space on my phone. I deleted many apps/documents that I really would like to have back on my phone. I’m just very unsure about it. I know that the iPod market is dropping and I am assuming they no longer will be available soon or increase much more in storage size. I really love the feel and size of the Nano’s but the storage will not work for my needs. I am not a fan of not having all my music with me and the whole cloud/streaming thing just isn’t for me. I’m pretty set on having my entire library portable and with me. That leaves me only to the iPod Touch (don’t really like the classic sorry). Thing is… I don’t really understand what’s so different about them from the iPhone. Why not just get another phone? I don’t need photos, apps, the internet, or even a large screen just to listen to my music. Is there something that I’m missing about the iPod Touch vs iPhone besides making calls? I plan to pass down my current phone to my mother otherwise I would use that as my music device. I’m a female and always have a bag/purse so carrying it really isn’t a huge factor. How do you guys feel about having a iPod and a iPhone vs just a single iPhone? Any advantages over one way against the other? The price difference between two options are actually not that huge of a difference. That just makes things so much more confusing/complicated for me. o_O

Price Break Down

-iPhone 6 at 32GB for $100 (expecting prices to drop with new release plus I will have an upgrade discount… maybe the iPhone 6 will be “free” phone for Verizon?)

-iPod Touch at 128 GB for $399 (I would get the max to future proof it since I expect iPods to poof in the near future)

or

-iPhone 6 and 128 GB for $399

Thanks for reading. Again, I’m just looking for some other opinions from someone looking from the outside in. :D

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Just to let you know there is no 32GB iPhone 6, only 16, 64, and 128. I'm not sure what will be available or what the prices will be after the new iPhone announcement so you may have to wait and see.

3. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Ahh thanks! That does make a difference.

4. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I was in a similar situation a month or so back. I listen to music all day at work and throughout the day when I'm not at work which was killing my phone's battery. I decided to grab an iPod touch (I just got a 32Gb as I can stream over wifi at work). Having both is awesome. I can usually get about 2 days battery life while streaming over wifi (~16-20 hours actual use without screen). Plus it really takes the burden off of my phone's battery, leaving me plenty at the end of work to last the rest of the day. The iPod it small enough that it's very easy to carry around along with my phone.

So if you can afford it, it sounds like having 2 devices might suit your needs quite well.

5. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I (think) I made up my mind to get a 64 GB iPod Touch 5. They are currently going for 130-200 on eBay. It will be a little over $100 savings from the most recent version. The only difference I see between the two is colors (not important), camera (not important), and RAM. As I said before I don’t plan to play games or anything on the device. Is 512MB of RAM okay for heavy music playing and filing the device with music up to capacity? The new version has 1 GB of RAM.

6. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't waste your money on the 5th generation one at this time - it has 2011 specs and will be slow.

7. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

If y
    If your focus is saving memory, Google Play Music let's you upload up to 50,000 songs to their cloud for free and you can stream them to your devices using the app. Also, you can set play lists to auto download so that any song that you put in a playlist gets automatically downloaded when on WiFi. This way you have access to all of your songs via streaming and all of your playlists via streaming or local storage.

8. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

And streaming requires data or wifi correct? If so, that wouldn't work for me. That is also my number 1 issue with music services like Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music ect. I don't have ton of data on my phone plan and am not always connected to wifi. Actually, the only time I'm connected to wifi is when I am home. In that case I just listen to the music from my computer. Wifi isn't available at work or in the car.

9. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Correct, but like I said, you can use Play Music to download your playlists automatically.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Get a 64gb iPhone 6S for $299 assuming you have a phone contract and a 64gb 6th gen iPod Touch for $299. The only difference worth noting between the iPod and iPhone for your usage is that the iPod has a smaller screen and can't make calls.

Google Play Music like the above poster said is also a good option. Upload all your music to the cloud, and you can stream it anywhere (which I know you are against) and also download the playlists/albums you want to your device so there is a local option as well.

11. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

For a dedicated mp3 player, does it need to be an iOS device, or even Apple? Why not consider a non-Apple mp3 player?

I have an Ipod classic for the car since having a physical wheel works better for touch interface, and an IpT to play iOS games. I personally think it's a waste to use an IpT for music, but that's just me.