1 Dumb Little (Network) Thing to do Better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #1
    One little thing the iPhone could do better is to understand this:

    My Proposed iPhone Thinking: "Hey, I've been in the same office all day, talking to the same cell tower, where I have 4 bars of EDGE and only 1 bar of 3G that comes and goes every few minutes. I know I have 1 bar of 3G at the moment, but I think I'll just stick to EDGE until I'm someplace where I get 2 bars of 3G. Then I'll switch back to the 3G network."

    Current iPhone Thinking: "Oh! 1 bar of 3G! I'll accept this incoming call on it so I can drop the call in 20 seconds! Yay yay yay!!"

    Yes yes, I know that turning off 3G will accomplish this, but then I have to turn it back on when I leave the office. I'm not looking to be changing settings on the phone all day.

    I'm simply asking for a little more intelligence here. A kind of "smart network choosing" that turns 3G on and off FOR me based on some kind of simple AI. This would probably eliminate 9 of the 10 dropped calls I get every day, right off the bat.

    EDIT: I just pasted this whole thing into the Apple feedback page, before you suggest that. I'm sure they're hacking into my computer to disable it as we speak.
     
  2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

    Flhusky

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    Yet you FAILED to post it in the AT&T forums, not that AT&T or :apple: gives a ratz ass.
    /end sarcasm

    It has to be aggravating with all those dropped calls I think i'd jailbrake and just turn off the 3g side of the phone.

    /curse self
    I have wonderful 3g coverage in 90% of my service area, the other 10% is edge/gprs BUT yeah in a national park or forest i'm not expecting much :D
    /end cursing self
     
  3. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #3
    Why would I jailbrake when that feature is already in the standard system preferences?

    I could turn off 3G any time I want. That's not the point.
     
  4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #4
    And I guess you failed english because you obviously don't understand what the OP was suggesting.

    Small White Car: I think you have a great idea and it seems simple enough for Apple to implement in the future. Hopefully they'll look into it.
     

Share This Page