Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Edit - Updated title to clarify it is 1 email account, needing to go to 2 places (Outlook and iPhone). Thanks.

I have a bit of an odd question.

My co-worker in New York got an iPhone over the weekend and I am trying to help him set-up his email on it. I'm in Seattle, so it's hard to really know what's going on when talking with him over the phone and not having an iPhone myself.

We figured a way to get the email to both Outlook on his PC and his iPhone by having the emails stay on the server for a while so both Outlook and the iPhone get the email.

First question - is there a better way to do this? We are using a third party system for our email.

We tested our current set-up and it worked. A test email went to both Outlook and the iPhone. However, now the iPhone is no longer receiving the messages, only outlook will get the email. Any ideas why this may be happening?

I guess I'll just have to go get an iPhone myself to figure this all out. ;)

Thanks in advance for the help!

EdH

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Sounds like you only have the iPhone set to "Leave mail on server", and the Outlook client is snatching the mail first. If the iPhone checks the server before Outlook does, then it will get the message, if not Outlook removes it.

Does your email server allow IMAP?

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Same issue here - with Gmail being accessed by both the iPhone and Outlook the message will only go to either iPhone or Outlook but not both (and yes both are set to leave the message on the server).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Same issue here - with Gmail being accessed by both the iPhone and Outlook the message will only go to either iPhone or Outlook but not both (and yes both are set to leave the message on the server).

change a setting on gmail to keep a copy in the inbox. Once you do that both will download it. I have 2 different computer that will download my email from the gmail inbox. At times I have download 20-30 emails on one of the computer due to the time bettween that one going to pop access. Oh yeah during that down time the other computer is downloading emails every day.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
change a setting on gmail to keep a copy in the inbox. Once you do that both will download it. I have 2 different computer that will download my email from the gmail inbox. At times I have download 20-30 emails on one of the computer due to the time bettween that one going to pop access. Oh yeah during that down time the other computer is downloading emails every day.

Thats how its set...

lightstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Nope, no IMAP support.

I'm having my coworker check the iPhone to make sure it is set to leave messages on the server. I'm thinking that is why a message went to only the iPhone and not Outlook this morning.

I'm also check with him to see if he was using EDGE or his own network yesterday. If he was using EDGE, I wonder if he was affected by the downtime?

Would the Mail on the iPhone say something about not being able to connect if he was using Edge during the downtime?

Wow, I really need to get one. Only to help with these problems of course. ;)

Thanks for the help so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.