1 existing partition, two bootcamp icons, none working if 2nd hdd installed?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 3tc, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 3tc macrumors newbie

hello,

i have a macbook pro 17" 2007 (3,1) and removed the superdrive to install a sata pata hdd adapter (and a hdd obviously) and had no problems so far, everything worked perfectly (without windows, osx only).

i tried to install win7 via bootcamp, couldn't boot from install dvd with two different external usb dvd drives(only showing efi boot, black screen), opened the macbook, took the 2nd hdd adapter out, superdrive in again and the dvd bootet just fine
    installed windows, worked perfectly for a day, but stopped as soon as i put the 2nd hdd back in.

suddenly i have the choice between two "Windows" labeled symbols when holding alt (in diskutil there's just osx, win and the 200mb part) and both of them just show me "missing operating system" if selected.
    osx works and windows works if i remove the second hdd, but I'd really like to keep it...

i tried to install refit, no change, tried to fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (main hdd) and f 2 (osx part) but the partition was active already so obviously no change as well..
    if I flag the windows part I get the same "missing operating system" error.

strange: if i boot from osx install-stick and open the "startup disk" utility i can select either OSX HD or BOOTCAMP, the "startup disk" utility of the booted OSX (OS) only shows me the OSX HD. Same result as flagging the Bootcamp part, though.

any ideas?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have enough space on your two drives to install a copy of the W7 install files as a partition? If so, you might be able to use the Startup Repair wizard from that and get things working again. It might also come in handy in the future if you can dedicate 4-8 GB to it.

See the "without super drive" thread for more info. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B

3. 3tc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, idea sounds great

i just don't get how to use the win7 iso as a recovery disc? if i select "create a new virtual machine and the iso, the diskpart/everything only recognizes it's own virtual partitions, not the real ones?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. 3tc, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

3tc thread starter macrumors newbie

MBR instead of GPT on the second hdd (the one without windows and osx, data only) solved the problem somehow.

thank you !